5 gallon hex upgrade to 20 gallon

new55galSALT

I will be in the process of upgrading my 5 gallon nano hex tank to a 20 gallon. It will be a slow upgrade as i will be taking alot of advice on filtration, sand bed, drilling to non drilling...... i already have a 24" x4 t5 light i will be using .... once i finish rewiring for new updated ballasts ...i have a korlia nano powerhead as well for gentle flow maybe another once i get one. I would like to do a sump but dont know how to set one up ..so any info on that would be nice ....

post-2343-0-98213300-1352016672_thumb.jp

post-2343-0-44392800-1352016705_thumb.jp

IMO slow upgrades are the best way to go. Really, slow setups of any sort are the best way to go. And always plan, plan, plan! Most of the best tanks I've seen were well-planned. Something about that thinking-it-out-extensively process makes it better, even when the plan gets changed or departed from. But when you upgrade slowly, you have plenty of time to change your plan as needed between upgrades/installments!

What are you planning on doing with your 5 gallon? I assume since you are calling this an upgrade, you don't plan to keep it running separately?

I decided to go with a 10 gallon instead of jumping to a 20 gallon figured it would be better on costs so i can just use the water and sand in the 10 to seed it .... i will probably sell or trade the 5 gallon once i get everything moved over and cleaned ....also selling or trading a 55 gallon 4 foot tank as well wife wont let me have two 55 gallons

Hahaha, for a second I read that as saying "also selling or trading a 55 gallon 4 foot tank as well as wife."

I'd be interested in that 5g hex when you're ready; I guess I'll keep an eye on the classifieds here. Meanwhile good luck with the upgrade! 8}

• Like 1

yes SGT major do school

I have a tank with 5 in it they always school up. thn 1 who is a morph and they dont allow him to hang in the group. so he roams and eats solo.

They were to cycle the QT tank, will kick the damsels out when it is time to use it for QT since they are slightly aggressive

****update**** i picked up a gorgonian from peter gott (thanx), sps from rchavez (thanks), got 3 more sgt major damsels from reefninja (thanks) which get along great with the other one i have... black clown is confused as who to pick on now grin.png .... i will post pictures tonight when i get home with the new goodies..... traded the old 5 gallon hex to peter gott for the gorgonian.. so far its a good deal i think

When i got home insides were gone like something ate it..... :'( Any ideas? Ive got 4 sgt major damsels, 6 pep shrimp and 1 black o clown seen some bristleworms in my sand bed so when i upgraded to the 10 gallon from the 5 gallon hex i put him on some rock work ...its crazy i don't understand everything else has been doing fine... I've dosed with liquid calcium as bottle states and have fed entire tank with mysis shrimp. And cyclop-eeze for my little filter feeder corals..... please someone tell me what i may have done wrong

I have a koralia nano power head

Whisper 10 internal filter

Quad t5 ho fixture 24w each only running 2

salinity at 1.025 as per floating hydrometer thing

3.5 maybe 4 lbs of live rock

And argonite substrate

Edited by new55galSALT

i think i am having a spike in something i am getting algae on my glass like crazy now i think it may have been the clam dying but wanted to see what others thought .... i picked out as much clam pieces as i could find... both halves of the shell went into my 55 for the bi-color blenny to finish cleaning.. i used mature sand from the 5 gallon and established water from the 5 and the 55 to finish out the 10 gallon requirment. so i didnt have a long cycle.. well ill post pictures tonight of how the tiny tank is doing..

• 1 month later...

Its official im going to upgrade to the 20 gallon i got the tank out of storage and want the dimensions of it instead of the 10... most of my equipment will swap over from the 10 gallon the only thing i need to change is the filter as it seems to be working really hard on the 10 anyway...ill keep you all posted

• 2 months later...