34g Solana DSB

cyrus

I have a tank that has been up for several months just recovering from a dino massacre. I lost a bunch of ricordia and a few frogspawn. Remarkably through all this misery I was redoing the rock work this past Monday (to make the wife happy) and low and behold there was a cuttlefish that was a heck of a survivor! I had 2 when I had placed the tank in back out and chalked them up as a loss. The little fella is now coming up on bout an inch. I relocated him to a 15g tall that has been up and running for a few months almost empty save some Tonga and macro and lava shrimp. A few of my prego mollies have been added in hopes of them popping out some free food for him to boot. Some of lifes greatest gifts come from the worst scenarios. I'm glad he made it.

I get them from a lfs here in El Paso. I moved lol, should probably update that. They also pop up on bluezoo WYSIWYG but are seasonal so you have to catch them around now til 2 months back. The trick is the food. They are live mysid primarily which is where the money comes in if you don't have a culture of them in advance.

so how do you do food for them? and can I get a couple of the smaller species and put them in an Innovative Marine 8g?

Sorry bout the questions.. I was looking to do something different with a smaller tank, just started to look into cuttlefish and then poof! your post came up!

I haven't got clusters yet. I pay 8$ each and they have always hatched. I'm sure they weed out the bad ones however. This guy seems to have survived off amphipods and micro stars. This is just a fluke in my opinion. You definitely want a well established culture of mysid in your tank before you attempt these guys.

So I was cleaning the glass in my 34g and low and behold here is another cuttlefish! These guys are a little more resiliant than I though! Don't gain hope though guys, I still remain with my premise that the are hard to rear. This has to be because the tank is well established with no other occupants. I was going to catch him but he disappeared before I got my shot glass...

I'm in el Paso bro sorry. I'm actually relieved to see him doing well. I saw bluezoo was selling juveniles about the same size (3/4") which is good because they got them past the hard phase for you and you know they aren't wild.