Mixing the salt water in the barrels

KarenM

I picked up two 55 gal barrels the other day (thanks, Dave!). I've just finished the whole wash/rinse cycle and I'm ready to start filling them. The problem is, they only havde 2 holes in them about 2" across. I have hammers, screwdrivers, and an elec drill. No kind of saw. I need to fill them with RO water and then mix the salt with it.

I also have a decent sized powerhead and 7' of tubing that will fit both sides of it. Would it be a bad idea to cut the tubing in half and hook it to the PH to pull from one barrel and blow into another? I was thinking I'd use a smaller container to mix up the salt and then pour it into the barrels and use the PH to mix up the whole 110 gallons.

Is this an incredibly stupid idea? will it ruin my PH?

I just drop a MJ1200 in to a 5g bucket when mixing SW, but I am sure it would work just as well in a 55g bucket although it might take longer. Can you get the ph into the barrel?

Nope, the barrels have only 2" holes in the top and I have no way to cut a larger hole. I thought about mixing enough salt for 140 gal of water into a 30 gal trashcan of RO. Then I could fill the two 55 gal barrels and and the other 30 gal trashcan with plain RO and let it all mix as we set up the tank.

My fish are still in a 32g rubbermaid. :D The tank is in place though! I am just short about 85g of water currently and I switched to the limestone and even though I rinsed it well it still got pretty cloudy. I will see what it looks like tomorrow. :P

I can't wait to see your aquascaping. I've been looking at all the ones I can find. I bought 2 large live rocks (one 20lb, one 25lb) on Friday and I picked up 10 smaller rocks (maybe 1lb) along the road yesterday. All I need to do is wash the gravel and make the water. I got behind in making my water because of the whole "can't saw a hole" thing, but I managed to get some holes in the barrels by drilling a whole bunch of small holes and hammering a screwdriver down between them. Doesn't look to great, but it'll work for now. Now I'm wondering if my little RO unit can make 140 gal of water between now and 3PM tomorrow.