Acrylic info

SChrisEV

I'm debating building a custom sump with acrylic instead of using an existing 35g glass tank I have. This way I can have more volume in the space I have to work with. Couple specific questions first.

1. What type of acrylic should I use? I looked on Regal Plastics site and it looks like they have a lot of stuff.

2. Should I use Regal or are there other recommendations? With Regal (or any other) will they cut to size if I provide a complete list, and had the experience been that the sizes/cuts are accurate?

Because this is for my sump I'm not going to be as picky on the look, but I do plan on using this to gain some experience working with acrylic as I never have.

In general, any input on building a sump is welcome. Thanks!

Chris

Use Regal and get 1/4 inch thick clear acrylic, brace as needed and use wledon 4. weldon 16 is used to fill any gaps or you can mix weldon4 with shavings to make 16 to fill gaps.

Regal will cut to size, they are very good at it and leave great edges. Only once did they ever mess a piece up and they actually gave it to me too big. I stopped by and the trimmed it to spec for free.

You can view my build thread and see some of the sump building process. I'm actually about to make an order with regal to get acrylic to make the dividers in my new 75 gallon sump.

Chris

Archived