Trying different salts

GKarshens

I have been slowly doing my own testing on different salts. For me the biggest concern is KH and CA. I would like to test Mag. too but I don't have that kit. First I tested Tropic Marin. It tested at Kh of 11 and Ca of 275. Not good. I just got done testing Oceanpure Pro. It was Kh of 4 and Ca of 375. Better but still not great. I would like to test TM pro and Red Sea next. If anyone has some that they would be willing to let me try and mix up a couple gallons I would appreciate it. I am using Elos test kits by the way.

We've tested magnesium on TM it came out to 875, not what I was hoping for and CA was also low. I'll be mixing a batch of Seachem Reef Salt tonight, I can post the Mg, CA and KH results tomorrow. We've been using Seachem Magnesium Test Kit and also for CA. Very dissapointing to know this salts don't come close to what an actual reef needs. Let me just say that by adding Epsom Salt has surely help with the growth of SPS in addition to CA reactor.

Could you elaborate on the use of epsom salt? I am guess because it is MgCl2? How much do you add?

Hello LEW....where you the guy w/small beaker at the last frag swap? Anyways, here something that we read about increasing magnesium.

http://ozreef.org/diy_plans/additives/magnesium.html

http://www.reefland.com/rho/2006/05/sea_salt_study.php

Nice articles. Thanks

I just had an idea. We could start a site like sanjay only with sea salts and supplements. I think it would be helpful for everyone. We could collect salt water samples from local reefers and then we could make a chart with the values.

Anyone willing to help?

What parameters should we test? I was thinking Alk, Calcium, PH, Mag, Phosphates

I was thinking the same thing. What sucks is the test kits are kind of pricey. I know Elos seems to be the brand of choice these days. I don't know how much they are, but I do know the TM Mag/CAL kit is $50! I will price the kits today. I have got some TM(regular) and IO salt I can test. I also assume we will need to make sure the samples are mixed for the same amount of time and at usable temp(79 degrees).

That's a great idea...I just did a water change and I still have 15g. left. I can run some test if you'll don't mind. The salt we've been using lately for the past month is Seachem Reefsalt. The test kits brand (Seachem for Mg./Ca). Noodle aka Yun, she was trying to attempt on running some test, but no luck since she's been working long hours.

-Cindy-

Did anyone test the regular Red Sea? I switched to Red Sea from Oceanic and could run some test this weekend during my water change if anyone is interested. I dont have a reef tank but can still test calcium, KH, and phosphate is you would like. I could also donate some salt if someone with a more precise test kit would like to gather the results. I am using API for my kits.

James

That would be awesome. The more tests run the better. I would like a cup of your salt to test with my Elos kits just to make sure they are tested on the same kits I tested the other salts on. I see you are in Cedar Park. I could meet you at River City if that would work.

I happen to also have Red Sea and I'm going to San Marcos this afternoon. I'm not sure if you're still there or if you would like me to drop off the sample at a LFS or your residence. Or you could wait until monday...

Can I suggest testing a mix of instant ocean to use as a baseline for comparison? Also, the same water source should be used in all the tests if they are going to be very few tests. If we collect many tests of the same mix than results from multiple water sources could be interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...