Tunze 9002

(Bio)³

I have a Tunze 9002 in my sump'd biocube and when I first put it in I could skim it so wet that the collection cup would be full in 3 seconds. I noticed the other day that I hadn't cleaned my skimmer in a little while so I went to grab the cup and it was just barely dirty in the neck with no water in the cup at all. I took the pump apart cleaned the impeller, and moded the airline. It sure was putting out some water but nothing for air bubbles. I blew into the air line and noticed with increased incoming air it bubbled alot harder but I never had to do this before.

While digging through my tunze pump and inside the skimmer cleaning I noticed the air vent that links into the pump has a glass/plastic clear 90 elbow. Well I had some how ended up with salt build up in that elbow probably from when it would suck water in before the air mod. Once I took a paper clip and cleaned the elbow out my Tunze is skimming just as hard and fast as I remember.

For anyone with a tunze I highly recommend the airline mod and to check that elbow if you can not get the skimmer to skim actively. Had me stumped for awhile and who knows how long my skimmer wasn't working right. Excited to see how much it cleans up my tank, going to be skimming wet for a week atleast due to GHA explosion.

I ditched the elbow and use an air pump to push air in. I can control it very well. I can make a thick skimate or a wet tea. The mod is worth it. I think it's a design flaw. Before I did the mod I was going to chunk this paperweight out the window. Highly recommended to at least change the air inlet.

I ditched the elbow and use an air pump to push air in. I can control it very well. I can make a thick skimate or a wet tea. The mod is worth it. I think it's a design flaw. Before I did the mod I was going to chunk this paperweight out the window. Highly recommended to at least change the air inlet.

The elbow is a male male fitting and the hose is female/pump femal I couldn't ditch it without pinching the hose to stick it in the hole then that will create a bit of restriction. Currently I can fill my cup with just the pump and vent that an airpump is pointless for me. Plus I save an outlet spot for something else. If it ever dies and I need a pump I'll pump it right in again. now that my air line goes out the back of my stand to the needle valve I should be able to keep salt out of that elbow.

Archived