Need someone with acrylic experience to offer some advice

gibs

Hey guys I assembled my sump the day before and water tested it today I only have 2 small leaks and they are both in the baffles one for the refugium and one in the first bubble trap. Both are minor and both I think were cause by me trying to sand the edges down and I have a small bow on the side where it meets the sump. Only a tiny bit is leaking through and the tops and bottom are perfectly fine. What is a good way to fix this or can it be? I already tried just using a bit more glue but the gap is just big enough where the sides don't meet. I thought about trying to clamp it but worried about causing more stress or something on the acrylic? I hear that weld on #16 is thicker and can be used to fill minor imperfections, I am using #4 right now..what do you think? Its almost a small enough amount that I am even thinking of leaving it alone once the water is both sides I am not going to get a whole lot through there since the pressure should be equalized and most will just go over the baffles as it should? Any thoughts suggesions?

#4 is where it is at. with that you can make #16 take a scape piece of acrylic and grind it up, make a thicker glue and seal the gap. #16 is simply #4 with shavings added to it to make a thicker glue.

I have always used #16 on all the seams for a sump. The thing I like about 16 is that it comes in a squeeze tube and comes with tips so it is much easier to apply (basically the same as silicone). Of course it will not be nearly as pretty, but for a sump I am just looking for high strength and no leaks.

If you do acrylic properly you should get a slight buldge at each edge of the seam, almost as if you laid down #16.

Out small wire sections between the two sections your sealing, use capillary action to suck the weldon into the gap then about 10-15 seconds later once it has weakened the material pull the wires out, the weight will allow the weakened edge to smash down and seal everything off.

I have sealed leaks in a few different acrylic builds by either allowing #4 to be sucked in with capillary action and seal it or mixing #4 with shavings to make #16 and use a syringe with no needle to apply. I typically use #16 to repair cracks and not just bad seam gaps. You'd be surprised how big of a gap #4 can suck into with capillary action.

I am pretty sure you have a lot more experience than I do. My acrylic skills are pretty much in line with my welding and painting skills. They all look great from about 10 feet. :)

Archived