Scientists urge action for coral reef protection

Timfish

Check this one out too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13796479

5 years ago I was mostly concerned with acidification of the oceans. I thought it would be a long while before any severe effects were felt but I assumed when they effects were perceived as eminent importation of corals would be severely limited or banned. Now it seems like a combo effect of warming waters, changing weather patterns, pollution for local agriculture, and acidification are teaming up and accelerating the timeline. Overfishing is a whole other problem that effects much more than hobby... it is food... bigger problem but that topic is probably not appropriate for this forum.

I see these types of articles much more frequently than I used to. The message has not changed that much but it seems that there is more research being done producing more information to be shared and there also appears to be more people taking notice. As public awareness grows, the reality of future limitations on coral imports also grows. Our aquaculture industry is nowhere near being prepared to satisfy the demand for corals if limits are imposed in the next few years. Big strides have been made the past 5-8 years but there is SO far to go. The number of facilities would have to increase dramatically, the ability to sexually reproduce corals on mass scale is still needed, the husbandry techniques that must be developed to grow several types of corals on massive scales is needed, the wholesale price point of the corals has to increase..... there is a lot of developing and evolving that must be done before the coral aquaculture industry is ready to be "relied" upon for even 1/3 of the current demand. Step by step, day by day, year by year. Please support Aquaculture.

• Like 1