Favia question.....??

sifuentes31

I recently purchased a favia from AAF and got it this past Saturday. It looked great when i got it , very green and healthy looking. After i took it home and placed it in my tank i left for an hour. When i got back most of the "meat" of the coral, the green flesh had fallen off. You could see the skeleton bright white. It still has some green flesh but the coral looks horrible. Why did this happen after only an hour? My other favias are doing fine and bought at the same place.. Can it be saved?

Yeah maybe i should contact them. The piece is only an inch around and i have maybe 15% of the meat on it. Just bone.....The sides are still green though and i have it on the sand bed for now. Should i raise it halfway up the tank for more light?

Call Matt directly if you want. He has always been great with us.

He was great with me until his dad gave me a completely dead war coral. Then I called. No answer. I texted. No answer. I emailed. No answer. But then I heard from someone else that with eBay, you and seller really need to communicate through eBay. For both your protection.

So I don't blame Matt because I didn't handle it properly. I never went through eBay. But he has been very helpful and will take care of you. Just go through eBay.

No not necessarily. I had a favia completely disappear. Then it came back and now has 3 heads. I would move to lower light and see what happens. But you should take a pic of it now so Matt knows what it looks like.

Oh ok i'll just leave them on the sand in between the rocks. Not too much flow there and the light isn't bad. I'm using PC bulbs anyway so its strong enough but not enough to harm them so deep in the tank...I'll post a pick on how it looks tomorrow when i get a chance.

Also, sand irritates the tissue on favia. Put them on a rock in the "shade" and they will do better. Dont expect to see any change in them for a couple weeks. Took mine 2 weeks to start to color back up and its still not what it was when I ordered it from Rob. You can get them used to higher light, but it will take months for them to get used to it. Like SPS, they die the very instant you change anything drastically. However reducing PAR on them does not kill them, just slows their growth from my experience and helps give them a chance to get used to the water chemistry difference.

Also, PC are no slouch so you could be giving them more PAR than they are used to.

It will come back if it has stopped receding. I had a prism favia get stung completely lost all of ts flesh before I notcied and now it has started coming back! Just find a sweet spot for it and GLUE it there so it wont get sand in it and it'll recover. Also, target feed it some Marine Snow or Reef Chilie every few days to encourage its feeders to extend. Once it starts feeding you should be home free. It's just a waiting game for growth after that. Good Luck