Gas Shock/Lift for Canopy

nuxx

Has anyone used Gas Shocks for their canopy?

Our 8 foot canopy is extremely heavy, and I'm worried if somebody is house sitting and feeds the fish they might drop the canopy into the tank.

Just curious if anyone has done this to their canopy and which lifts they used.

Pictures would be nice as well :)

Go look into the recent build threads, there is someone who built a pullet winch system with the member offroaddodge. And then the member offroaddodge himself build a canopy stand on actuators to mechanically lift it when he needs.

Go look into the recent build threads, there is someone who built a pullet winch system with the member offroaddodge. And then the member offroaddodge himself build a canopy stand on actuators to mechanically lift it when he needs.

Yup. This is what I was going to say. Pm offroaddodge and see if he can help.

Looking more for gas shocks like you see on the back of an SUV.

Will probably be opening the canopy 2x a day, so just needs to make it easier to lift and keep it open if let go.

Looks like Autozone has a ton of these shocks, might just be fun trying to find on that is just the right rating for the canopy weight >:0

so the gas shocks will work great, the issue is mounting the ends of them. Most are ball and socket type ends so you would have to find the appropriate sizes ball for the socket size you choose. Believe me almost any of the shocks that are used to lift the glass or gate on the rear of an SUV should work. Fabing a mount would be no big deal as long as you could find the ball end to mount the shock.

so the gas shocks will work great, the issue is mounting the ends of them. Most are ball and socket type ends so you would have to find the appropriate sizes ball for the socket size you choose. Believe me almost any of the shocks that are used to lift the glass or gate on the rear of an SUV should work. Fabing a mount would be no big deal as long as you could find the ball end to mount the shock.

Jeremy, Make me 2 for my 150! whistle.gif