Looking for Established water, livesand

Iplantz

(Hopefully I posted this in the proper section?)

I am starting my 5.5g nano tomorrow and am looking to see if anyone is doing a water change on Friday. I live in the Georgetown area and will be commuting to River City Aquatics tomorrow to buy some water jugs and water. I am also looking for perhaps a cup or two of live sand from a seeded refugium or tank. I should be buying a bag of live sand (5-10lbs) so add to my refugium, so I'm willing to "trade" sand if you'd like.

I guess I''ll also just ask too if anyone knows if RCA or Fishy Business sells/gives away their water change water, or can give you tank water? Anyways thanks to all - Ian

I can give you a bucket of water from my tank for sure. Let me know. I'll be home during the day tomorrow. I near 183 and 620.

And when I was setting up my tank, Shane gave me 20 gallons of his water from his coral tanks. He would probably to 5 gallons no prob.

I wouldn't advise getting water form a fish store of any kind, no matter what tank it comes out of. A lot of livestock travels through them, carrying anything from around the world, including parasites, bad microbacteria, disease, etc. Get water from a trusted, established tank that is healthy and running well.

I've never heard of using water from an established tank for a water change. I have always used RO/DI and a bucket of salt mixed for 24hrs. Wouldn't used water have a lot of the nutrients extracted such as Cal and Alk and other trace elements needed and potentially have bad stuff as well?

Brian, he's looking for established tank water to start his new tank (not to do a WC on an existing tank). This is pretty common as the thinking is whatever beneficial bacteria that is coming in from the established tank will speed the initial cycle especially if you are also starting with live sand and live rock.