New (to me) RO/DI filter

Bpb

Just picked up a used spectrapure 4 stage RO/DI filter from someone on Craigslist. Came with a spare .5micron carbon filter, RO membrane, 5 micron sediment filter, and two unused units of DI resin. This thing looks daunting to set up. Hopefully I can figure it out at some point. I'd like to tap it in at the washing machine in the utility room, or on the water heater line in the garage.

The manual says to use two .5 micron filters, but I only have one. Are these things generally cross compatible or do I have to get specifically the one spectrapure sells? I also still need to get a tds meter since the alarm that it has doesn't really give any number readings, just goes from green to red when it's not functioning optimally, whatever that means. No other questions really. Just thought I'd share. I'll have to hit up YouTube and see if anyone has put up a video tutorial of this model. Im somewhat handy but need direction.

After going over everything included again, I see it didn't come with a good enough sediment filter. He included a 5 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron sediment filter, but everything I've read is telling me to go no bigger than 0.5, to protect the carbon block. I would like to get a few of those because it sounds like the sediment filters are the things you replace the most often. I'll also probably end up getting a garden hose adaptor as well so I don't have to hard plumb it. I think I'll get it. I still feel like it was an ok deal considering the extra RO membrane and two DI resin replacement bags. It came with a flush kit already installed and the drinking water stuff too, but I won't end up using that.

Anybody know of a place locally that carries TDS meters? The Lowes by my house used to carry them but stopped some months ago. Anyone know if Home Depot, Ace, or Walmart happens to carry them before I go driving all over town? I'm ordering some sediment filters and another carbon block, but was hoping to find a TDS meter for cheaper than marinedepot has them. Also, I've seen some conflicting information on when to replace sediment filters and carbon blocks. Some say the 0.5 micron carbon is good for 20,000 gallons, which would last me ALOT longer than 6 months. Others say to replace both the sediment and carbon filters every six months like clock work. Others say when you see a pressure drop, it's one of them. At the moment, I'm using less than a gallon per day for evaporation top offs, and I'm doing bi-weekly 8 gallon water changes. Seems if a carbon block is good for 20,000 gallons, it should last me quite some time. I'm gonna hook up the new unit using a water hose adaptor, since the pressure coming out of my hose spighot is very good, and I don't want to pierce any of my water lines permanantly. Any ideas on where I can locate a cheaper TDS meter and find some clarity on filter replacement schedules?

Edited by Bpb