3 days of darkness

polarbear

So this morning I was going to do a water change because I have been having a hair algae problem. I talked to the guys at elegant reefs last week and had my water tested. My PO4 have gone down from .1 to .062. They advised me that the hair algae should start dying off and could be sucked out within another week or two. Well a couple of days ago I got a tooth brush and scrubbed a piece of the rock and the algae came right off. I was going to do the water change today and get in there to scrub the rocks but I was thinking that maybe the 3 days of darnkness would help to losen it up some more so it won't be to hard to get off.

What do you guys think? Will it hurt to do it since I'm going to do a 20 gallon water change when the 3 days are done anyways?

Also usually when the lights go out the fish hide so how do I feed them during this time? Do I just put the food in the tank with the lights off and hope they eat it?

Thats what I had though regarding the PH. As for hair algae in there I did see a little on top of the cheato but Im going to be cutting the cheato back since its been growing really good. I need to make room for it to grow out again.