Its time to go from 10 48" t-5s.. to LED.. PIC UPDATE!

There are a ton of threads all over about people damaging their coral when switching to LEDs. I'm following this on RC now: sps liking lower light w/leds

This is one of the things that has really annoyed me about the way LEDs have been marketed. I have seen 250w MH put out more light than 400w MH and I have seen a 45% variation in output between different manufacturers and color temps in the same fixture and the same ballast. So when a LED fixture is said to be as bright as a certain wattage MH fixture the only way to be sure is to actually measure the light output of both fixtures with a meter.

Update....

Coral seems to be growing the same if not better... I have also noticed less algae on the front glass. I would have to clean it every day with the t5s.. now it is optional. I still get some algae, but it is not near as noticeable.

... I have also noticed less algae on the front glass. I would have to clean it every day with the t5s.. now it is optional. I still get some algae, but it is not near as noticeable.

This is good, right? Or do you need the practice? laugh.png It would have been interesting to take light readings on the inside front of the glass. Presuambly the angle of incidence is less with the LEDs but it would have been nice to think of checking that when we took the PAR readings of the T5s and LEDs. Oh well, I guess I'll point the finger at you for that oversight grin.png

• 1 month later...

LEDs are doing great, and more importantly, my coral are doing great. The color is bright and they are growing like crazy. All 3 of my anemones are loving the light. Sorry I did not reply to this sooner..

I have a camera on my tank if anyone wants to check it out..

http://www.jakesplace.info:9000

user: guest

pass: fish

That web feed is so cool!!rock.gif what kind of a webcam are you using I have been throwing the idea around about putting a wireless webcam on my tank so I can see whats going on while I am at work or out of town.

Awesome! The tank and the lights look really good! could you PM me the site and which LEDs you got? I am planning my big tank and really want to do a LED setup. I have looked at rapid LED a bunch but have never saw those big LEDs

Thanks! In the mean time I will use your tank as my second monitor screen saver hahasnack.gif

Archived