Having an LED problem...solved!

So I got my first string wired up tonight, 14 LEDs in the blue , royal blue, and violet varieties. The product page for the meanwell driver I'm using says it powers 8-14 LEDs. My string has 14 LEDs on it currently.

I tuned the output of the meanwell to 700ma. I have it connected to my Typhon LED controller that uses PWM dimming, it is set at 100%.

The problem is that I can't get ALL the LEDs in this string to light up. When I plug it in, I get:

1-8 lit

9, 10, 11, 12, 13 unlit

14 lit

I've tested all LEDs and they are good. I'm at a loss...what could the problem be?

Kevin

Sound's like the solder isn't adhering to the pad's of the led's. This can happens if you do not use flux when pre-tinning the pad's with solder, or the soldering iron doesn't the watts necessary to properly melt the solder. Flux is often overlooked and oxidation on the wire or led pad surfaces will prevent solder from adhering properly. hth

Cheers,

Do you have a schematic? All the kinds you listed should be the same voltage, so that shouldn't be a problem. Give me a link to the controller manual, the P/Ns of the LEDs and a schematic or drawing of your circuit, and I can tell you what's wrong.

Looks like it's a shorting problem...I'm trying to track it down, but I've got continuity between the aluminum and a couple of led positive pads.

the search continues...

Archived