A Tale of Two Gobies

Drew Mendez WTR

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times in my 150 Gallon Hex

Chapter 1 (He's just not that into to)

I often found myself pacing around my tank waiting for my Pink bar and his newly added (hopefully female) Tiger Pistol Shrimp to hit it off to no avail. To my wife he would swim into the area known affectionately as "turtle head cove" and attempt like he was doing "watchman things" my wife yells "honey they paired" and I come running across the room jumping over two weenie dogs. To much dismay I was quite confused as I knew what a "pairing" should look like but the Goby was certainly not doing that; then just as quick he would dart off to the other side of the tank to be some macho bada** to our fellow "Coors Light Bullet Goby"--I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Chapter 2 (You didn't call!-- I know I lost your number)

After a week of watching this go off and on; I finally gave up on my pink spot. He probably was just to big and didn't really care to man up and do what he was supposed to. Maybe he was leading the Tiger Shrimp on, or maybe he didn't call her after their first sand sift together. For whatever the reason I decided that this "relation****" was not going to blossom into my expectations. My wife wouldn't let me get rid of the Pink Spot because she likes he's coloring so I thought I would give love another chance before I called it quits myself. I picked out/up a yellow watchman goby because most of them were already paired with shrimps and me not wanting to break love up, I picked the loneliest one there at Aquadome.

Chapter 3 (Love at first sand sift)

After the proper acclimation procedure there was maybe an hour left of "actinic moonlight" I could see the yellow watchman perching on the overflow box. I waited up and watched eagerly, I went about my routine and after a period of REM (Rapid Eye Movement the band) I awoke refreshed and ready to take on the day. I spent most of the later morning searching around my tank looking for love in all the wrong places and

Wishing and hoping and thinking and praying.

Chapter 3 (I would do anything for love)

I didn't find my Goby until the light came on around noon; he was under the rock at "Turtle Head Cove". I had a rush of emotions at that point, a short time later I see him poke out and I see the shrimp in tow. Then just as quick they were gone. My cupids arrow had pierced them right through the gill. Has she put out at the first sand sift, and dug him his own tunnel? I felt accomplished at this point as they both reemerged on the cave side of the cove. I go about my routine gulping my first of many monsters for the longest day.

I look back a short time later and my yellow gobys' mouth is wide open and turned to the side. Surprised and focused on him; I slowly acquire that my pink spot goby has re-entered the picture and is mirrored with his mouth open as wide as it goes. He moves closer and the yellow goby and shrimp disappear. He turns around and backs up his tail into the other mans cave. After awhile he leaves and then he returns with a shell to take to his former lover. She declined

Shes not into him at this point. He broke her heart and now she's found a true whole hearten committed partner.

I would do anything for love but I wont do that. The End

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So thats my long drawn out love story. please feel to provide feedback

I'm going to monitor my pink spot to make sure he moves on and doesn't take a revenge killing or anything. He didn't strike at him today and he's way bigger than the yellow. So I will wait and watch, and if things go bad I'll take him out and find him a home to heal his broken heart. It is better to have love and lost than to have never loved at all.

I'm just surprised that the gobies and blennies are able to distinguish there own kind so well.

Very Respectfully, Drew Mendez

• Like 1