Ich, or something WORSE?

ClarkiiCircus

So,

Last night I decided to do a relatively large water change on a small barebottom tank I have been QT'ing clowns in. The fish had decided to not really eat their food last night, so I siphoned it off the bottom, replaced the water with premixed salt+RO at about 30ppm. As I am in school for marine bio, specializing in phycology (the study of algae!) so I always keep some macro's in the tank to help suck up excess nutrients, and because they look pretty.

This morning I woke up to check on the fish. WHITE SPOTS COVERED THEM. EVERYWHERE. I was freaking out, supremely distraught. But then...I took a closer look. There WERE white spots on the fish, but there were also visible white spots floating around in the water column. Also stuck on the filter.

THE CAULERPA HAD GONE SEXUAL. All the white spots were spores it released in response to being unhappy about the water change and new lack of nutrients. The spores tend to be sticky, which is why they had stuck to the fish! (who are slowly working them off in their anemone!). I siphoned all the spores out, promptly removed the macro, and thanked my lucky stars.

Lesson of the story? Don't always jump to the worse conclusion, I was ready to whip out the cupramine. Secondly, take care of your macros, or they will come back to haunt you.

• Like 2