To catch a predator *change from crabs*

Drew Mendez WTR

How do I get unwanted crabs out of my tank from what I've been told my options are

chicken on a fish line

Hawaiian skewer

A little bigger than a quarter stone crab hitchhiked it

there's a black sally light foot from the coast 2 I think

There all small crabs so I would like to get them now before they get the taste for fish blood

Deadlist Catch is not an option or crab pots

Very Respectfully, Drew Mendez

Use the bottle trap method. A 20oz bottle with the top cut off and inserted upside down into the bottom half. Bait it with shrimp or something, and you should be able to catch them if you have a little luck on your side

I've had great luck using a drinking glass leaned up against the rock at a pretty steep angle. Bait it with something good, I usually put it in right at lights out so my fish don't get the bait. The crab/s will go in the glass to get the bait, slide down, and can't crawl back out. Have removed two rogue emerald crabs this way. Of course, you will also catch every hermit in your tank at least twice.

I've had great luck using a drinking glass leaned up against the rock at a pretty steep angle. Bait it with something good,

This worked for a mid sized gorilla crab. Used silversides as bait.

Larger crab, I had to pull rocks out... :(

The reason is he hasnt paired with my pink spot...and aquadome thinks he may be an atlantic pistol and the goby is from the indo-pacific so I was going to return him and try one from the region its been about 2 months....

I tried taking his rock out and putting him in a tub of fresh decholorinated water however that did not work, and I think I prob killed him, bc I could see a tail and he was not moving. I put the rock back into my tank, however my wife says she cant see him at his cave entrance so yeah think I killed him sorry...

• 4 weeks later...

To catch a predator

So after many unsuccessful attempts to catch the stone crab which culminated in my taking off his big claw with a skewer around the time this thread was started.

I had seen this crab come out many times and stare at me and actually snap (little claw) upon seeing me through the glass. He basically said "Its on Drew, Its on!".

Since then I had seen him come out little farther and as soon as my hand touched the water he would vanish.

This week I noticed him closer than usual and he honestly waved his new big claw at me and snapped it in a show of force. I knew this had to end at that moment.

This time I used a fork, and went after him poking rocks-I then started moving rocks aside and isolated him to "tunnel rock" at the end of the aquarium. There was only him, a peppermint and frogspawn that were on the rock; I removed it from the tank (20 Lbs) and shook it over the floor. The peppermint dropped out, and then the crab fell to the floor. I quickly stepped on him and threw him back into the tank to be feasted on. I would have rather taken him to aquadome and let the puffers violate him; However, he tried to make a break for it.

Very Respectfully, Drew Mendez

Long ago I saw a video online, and actually on this forum too, of a guy blowing up a crab in his tank....it's on youtube somewhere. Long story short I actually met the guy recently that shot the video. He lives in San Fran and used to own a fish store, he mentioned it to me in passing and I laughed because I had already seen the video. He used 1/2 a blackcat fire cracker and tied some wire leads to it. He sealed it in silicone and put it in front of the crabs burrow. When the crab came out he touched the wires to a battery and blew it up. The wire leads had a name that I can't remember now but they were used for detonating explosives. He said people's reaction to the video was negative, saying he was just being mean to the crab. He wanted to know how they felt about the fish it killed and ate before the explosion lol. He told me that pop was loud and he could feel it outside the tank and if the tank was glass he was sure it would have busted it.....maybe 1/4 blackcat would be better next time.

Does anyone else remember that video? Was a couple years ago I think.