Seaweed Blennys Ex-Large

Drew Mendez WTR

Small bait hook on the South Jettys... They smaller ones I usually take a green net (aquarium) and slide on the rocks where algae grows and I can get a few. Peppermint Shrimp needs to be calm and my preference is low tide. I've caught them on high tide but if its rough there not going to come out. Wait until it gets dark and take a very bright flashlight (waterproof) walk along the jettys and you will see there red eyes. Walk up to them then turn the light off as they will scurry under the rocks take your net and put it below them and scrap it up towards you. Be sure to have a small bucket and a 5gallon bucket near by and a portable bubble maker. Be cautious of the snails as they can be predatory from what I've heard and be careful with what crabs you catch ( know what it is as some are swimming crabs and will kill your fish) If unsure don't add it (I learned the hard way)

Get a bigger net and scoop up Sargassum (brown seaweed looking thing everywhere) get it where its still submerged or floating.

Shake it out over a flat rock or over a bucket. You can catch Sargassum Shrimp, and Fish (looks like a frogfish), Southern Puffers (Very small) and small crabs. Shaking Sargassum thats still submerged and not moving can harbor lots of copepods, you can take some of those if you wish.

You can also find sea urchins at the end of the jettys (about 1 mile) sometimes, there are plenty of rock anemones around that the peppermint shrimp are adept to eating. Take a scraper or use your hands (my nails always get cut) and force them out by pulling from the bottom of them.

Very Respectfully, Drew Mendez