back from hiatus

iflytoohigh

so, where has iflytoohigh been?? did he disappear? no, i didn't disappear but i've been taking a hiatus from the saltwater tanks. i've been letting my tanks cycle for the last few months. my 20 gallon crashed and the same with my 3gal. i was so sad because i lost about half my corals. luckily , BigClay was able to save my favorites (acan lords) by housing them in his 58gal for me. well, it has been about 2-3 months since then and i've done a lots of water changes and my parameters have checked out for the past month. and now it is time to start testing the waters with corals again. oh geez, i can't wait to see my tank with corals in it again. wish me luck!

i have no idea what made it crash. from all the people i talked to, they all attributed it to New Tank Syndrome. apparently a tank can go belly up for no apparent reason. well, i fell prey to that. i do know that my calcium level had dipped extremely low and the alkalinity was a little high. i adjusted for the calcium / alk levels, but still a decline in health for my corals. no parasites to be found. i tried running carbon. i tried running rowa-phos. all to no avail. so after losing some corals, i asked BigClay to hold my left overs and just let the tank crash. it went through a cycle again and is just now getting out of the 2nd/3rd algae bloom phase. i kept a piece of cabage coral and dome digitata in the tank for the entire time so i could gauge what was going on in the tank. the cabbage coral is polyping out again and is taking on color and is looking like it used to. the digitata is still hanging in there. it has completely bleached but still polyps out. so, i think it is ready for my old corals again. i'm currently testing it with another coral for a week or so to see if it will be ok. so far so good.