GSP

Dhayden

I know Im battling PH probs. But everything in the tank slooks great. However I bought a nice piece of GSP from Clif. Its been a few days and no sign on polyp from it. I have never had much luck with these. Is there a trick to them? I do have them under a MH I was wondering if I should shield it. there is no way for me to shade it, its kind of a big rock. Usually take a week or so to see any extension?

If the tissue is dissolving and the actual mat stinks, then the colony is dying... otherwise it's in shock mode (which as Robert said can last a couple of weeks).

Windowscreen or eggcrate would shield the GSP from the high light and as Robert said, they do like flow.

John

Seems to be shedding a bit. doesnt stink. I notice my gorgonian shedds like that. Although it doesnt grow either , hehe. I am gonna try to pick up some good PH and KH test kits today to see if I can narrow down this instability with my ph.

OK I know Im paranoid but, it still not open, been 4 days no big deal. But whats this stuff?

Picture054.jpg

Picture053.jpg

Picture052.jpg

This fuzzy white stuff appeared this morning. Looks fuzzy, not slimy, havent stabbed at it yet :) It doesnt blow off though.

I've never seen that white stuff before -- weird?? Are the polyps out yet? I've had GSP for many months. They've had periods up to 2 weeks without polyp extension, then for no good reasong they just open up again. Like John said, as long as they're not peeling off, they're probably OK. So what is that white stuff? Could something have spawned in your tank?

Hate to say it but after seeing the picture it does indeed look bacterial. I think what is happening, is that for whatever reason, they are not happy and dying and you're seeing the opportunistic bacteria on the spots of death. What kind of lighting do you have? I've burned GSP to death before not acclimating them to halide lighting. Try moving them down as far as possible with a medium amount of flow.

The dips we tried wouldn't work if the tissue is indeed dying as the bacteria have a seemingly infinite supply of fuel until the mat dissolves.

John

Makes sense. Its kinda wierd too, under the atinics some of the tissue spots that I have brushed are bright red. Kinda wierd. I do see the outer edges flaking off.

Clif had it in his tnk under MH, but about 4-500watts in a 125. I got 200 in a 20; depth wise its probably not too different. I think the high Alk might have shocked it or something :) I got a Coral Beauty I was telling you about that is getting worse not sure if I can save it, the stress of trying to catch it will prob. kill it :(

The last few dyas I got some stuff from andrew that is looking great, so I have had some window screens over the tank the last few days so it has had some shade. pretty big of a rock in my tank to shade it any other way.

You think the baterial infection would spread though? It doesnt seem like it is. Just strange that this fish has same thing or a parasite.