I want a cube!

generatorx

• 1 month later...
I want to get my feet wet with salt water. I have been doing fresh water for about 4 years. I am looking to get a cube shaped tank anywhere from 24-37 gallons. I don't care if it is an oceanic or a nano. Just wondering whats out there. thanks

-matt

My opinion, if you go it an Nano your going to have to Mod it. I think its better to just go with a drilled Oceanic 30 cube with a sump and remora skimmer. This way its easier to up grade the lighting when or if you what to go SPS. On the other hand you could do the same with a nano with a clip on MH maybe a 150 14K, but you lose the sump. I would never run a reef sumpless, maybe a fish only, everything i have seen points to SUMP. Its a little more $ but keeps things easy to keep up with. Do your homework, you will figure it out. picking out the tank is the easy part, just wait till you stock the tank lol. hope this helps bro.

That is the tank indeed. Euroreef is also coming out with a cool pico tank which should hit around the end of the year/first of next year.

The light appears to either be loved or hated. I like it with the rimless look. I have inquired at a local fish store as to whether they can get them in or not (referring back to the Current Solana). To see a bit more you can try searching the posts on the big central reef site and look for Melev's photos of MACNA. There is an on-line store that is selling the Solana but I don't think you can post their website, but it seems phishy to me ; )

Lee

You should check out The Red Sea Max too... Its a little on the expensive side, but worth it in my opinion. I added a link to a really informative website on them... The guy that picked up ours during that clearance sale says he's really happy with it. The stand seemed really strong too. I remember the wood being really heavy when I built it... Another option is the Aquapod. Its a pretty simple system, but they seem to be really popular... hope that helps :D

-Kat :(

i have a 60G cube that i'm in the process of breaking down right now. it was built up back in january, mostly with pretty nice equipment( tunze top off, 3 tunze 6025's, deltec MCE600 skimmer, coralvue 250W DE halide + PC's, and moonlights). it has an in tank sump, or false wall in the back, were i hide all the equipment and a fuge. it cost me about 2200 to build, i'm asking $1000, and for that, i'll throw in test kits, salt, substrate, and whatever i have lying around. LMK

that swimming pool idea sounds pretty good. I think I will go with that! Austin aquatic innovation is pretty huge and cool. They have good deals and the people who work there are nice. They need to finish remolding though. I might go look into that cube there. 200 is a sweet deal!

If your new to saltwater I recommend going with the largest possible tank because it is easier to throw off the chemical balance when you're working with just a few gallons, but if you screw up with 75 or 90 it will be easier to fix.