A couple of quick questions about chaeto

KevinB

My chaeto has been growing very rapidly since I upgraded my fuge light to a 40w CFL.

I'm wondering when the best time to trim it is? Should it be thinned out when it gets too big for the space it's in, or sooner? Specifically, is it better to thin a large clump frequently with the thought being the more chaeto you have growing, the more nutrients you export? OR is it better to keep a smaller amount with the thought that more light is able to get to more of the chaeto you have?

Also, my chaeto is next to the last weir before my return pump. Because of my sump design, it tends to do some mechanical filtration for me, and keep some of that detritus and excess food in the refugium. Would anyone consider this a bad idea? The chaeto can sometimes look kind of dirty, I tend to stir up up to loosen the particles every couple of days.

Seems like you have a good combo if its growing rapidly. The junk that catches in it is probably elevating the nitrates in turn helping feed the cheato. Mine isnt getting much bigger, but its getting super dense and loaded to the max with pods.

I read a pretty interesting paper I could email you if you like on the productivity within chaetomorpha linum mats. In nature they can grow up to be about 30cm thick, with optimal denitfication occurring at 8cm or so in depth within the mat. The light is more than strong enough to support the mat, and there are obviously plenty of nutrients or the mat wouldnt continue to grow, so I personally would allow it to grow until it fills the space then trim.