red algae?

victoly

Are you sure it's cotton candy algae and not red gelidium? Cotton candy algae is pink, stringy and is easily removed. Red gelidium is reddish-maroon in color, feels coarse and fuzzy sort of like turf, and actually grows roots down into the rock and so is very hard to remove. There are threads on Nano-Reef about people nuking it with kalk paste and even (literally) a blow torch. I used Mexican turbos as most snails and crabs won't touch it, and that worked out fine for me. Since it sprouted out of a newly introduced rock/plug, and has not spread rapidly or floated around the tank, I'm inclined to say it's gelidium rather than cotton candy.

I'll just make a euphemism for killing the algae. How about "flipping the donkey". As in, I'm going to need to remove these zoas before i can flip the donkey.

LMFAO, really

Those look like eye of rah zoas.....if they are just toss them. I have those things growing out of control in my tank and will give you plenty of them when you pick up your fish.

You are too kind. They are all out of copper treatment and the clowns are doing great. The cardinal hasn't eaten anything that I've offered it yet....frozen mysid, flakes, and pellets, but seems to be fine. I did see it yesterday picking at stuff in the water column so I'm not too worried about it. They are hanging out in the big QT system now with a couple other fish.

The move is scheduled for this coming week, so cross your fingers that underwriting goes through :). I'll probably still need a week or two to get things settled and happy after the move. My son asks constantly how the fish are doing at the "fish doctor". I tell him they're doing great and are very happy in a big tank with some friends.