tank project.

gatortank

I am trying to see if I can build an entire tank for free. I already have received a 55 gallon tank, stand, two powerheads, cheap fresh water lights (which I will not be using), under gravel filter (not using), a bunch of fake freshwater plants (not using) and live sand. Thanks to a bunch of you already. I need some sort of filter or a small tank to build a sump, better lights, live rock and anything else you would be willing to part with. I am going to start putting up pictures and I will also let you know who gave what. I am not in a hurry and I can buy anything I need. I am just seeing what I could build for free.

Interesting idea, just know that it's not a cheap hobby so at some point it'll start biting your pocketbook.

That said, I have a box of junk parts in my garage that you're welcome to go through. There are parts for an old light fixture and some old powerheads, etc. I can bring it all along to the meeting this weekend so that everyone can have a shot at something.

• Like 1

I would be happy to meet you somewhere. I know this can be expensive. I have had several tanks in the past. I got the idea when I was given the tank. I am kinda shocked at what people would give away. Also, if I get anything that I am not going to use. I will either give it away or trade. I will not sell anything that was given to me.

By the way. The live sand was donated by Mcallahan. The tank and various other items were donated by a non-members. If anybody wants the undergrave filter, let me know. I will be taking pictures of the fake plants and posting them shortly. They are free. The lights I have right now I will have to keep until I can get something better. But they will be free as well.

Update on my tank project. It looks like I have the lights worked out. I am still needing a filter, salt and anything else you are willing to part with. See you really don't need to sell your first born to enjoy this hobby. I will be posting pictures when i get water in the tank. Again thank you guys for all of the donations so far. This tank is going to actually look pretty good when done.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new bucket of IO reef crystals I got for free that I'm not going to use. I'm in WAY south Austin though, probably not worth the drive unless you're down here anyway for something.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of the tank.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/gallery/album/441-tank-project/

It's still a work in progress, but hey I think it turned out pretty well for FREE.

I have a UV light and protein skimmer that I am going to be hooking up next. Just need to get a few parts for both and they will be good to go.

Going to be replacing the bulbs soon and the wife wants me to put a hood on the it. What do you think? I kinda like the look.

I am about to get a sump to go in the stand and need to get some better power heads because I want to get a computer to make a random currents, the ones I have rattle every time I turn the on.

But I want to thank everyone that has donated to this project. As you see, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get started in this hobby....Just to stay in it.

P.S. The only money I spent on this tank was $1.97.