building a stand?

wizardx322

I am in the process of building a stand and I wanted to know what everyone's thought on how to build one and what they would use.

I was thinking of using 2x4's then cover it with plywood.

Or go just 3/4" plywood. I have looked at stands they sell in the stores and its all plywood.

This is going to be for a 190gal tank.

I am not looking to make a steal/metal stand.

Would like to get some opinions.

mmm...theres a reason why the instore stands are cheap...IMO either use 2x4s with plywood or if you have the patience to glue 1/2" plywood together and cut the frame out then you would be ok also. Have you ever seen how a houses corners are built? as long as you build it that away you will be fine. My 200G is built this away with 2x4s and 1/2" plywood and is a tank. I bet the stand alone weighed 60lbs. This is JMO, there are many ways to achieve the end result.

I would go with 2 x 4s and plywood myself also and I'm really fond of drilling and using square drive or torx drive deck screws and glue and double up the top layer of plywood just because I can. (Don't get stainless steel, they won't rust but a high percentage of the heads snap off while driving them in.)

Nice tank Wizard-I need to come by and check it out.

I would use 2x4s, 3/4 plywood top and 1/2 plywood sides.

+1 Timfish to use screws for your build. I've got legs on mine so I can clean

the bottom.