Ca Reactor Question

ACampbell

Hey guys,

I should have all the parts coming in tomorrow to complete my Ca reactor setup. I've never set one up before, so I just trying to get it all figured out.

I'm confused on how the tubing physically attaches to the Co2 bottle.

Here's a pic showing the tip of it. You can see that it's threaded, so is something suppose to screw on? Am I missing a part? The tip is only about 1/4" and won't allow the tubing to stay on by itself.

reg-spout.jpg

Pic of Regulator:

regulator.jpg

Rest of Ca Reactor setup minus pH controller, a few pumps, etc...

reactor.jpg

That be where the hose hooks on. :D I think your model is designed to use a nut with a hole in the middle (I know there is a name, but I am tired) to tighten down the tubing.

Looks like this (random google search pic, all rights reserved to the owner, blah blah blah)

regulator_small.jpg

Agree completely, it should be 1/4" I THINK but I could be wrong (Home Depot is also my kryptonite). I'd bring the regulator with you and search for the nut.

After that, you jam the piece of tubing over the threads then screw the nut down.

If it's like most regulators, it won't fill with liquid on its own, because the gas is running in one direction through your bubble counter. If you don't have one already, you should have a check valve inline between the bubble counter and where it goes into the calc reactor to keep water from getting in your regulator. I just fill mine on my FW tank with tap water (I'd use RO water if I had it handy at my office), although I do have to refill it every couple of months. You can use glycerine in them, and that won't evaporate, but I've had a hard time finding straight glycerine.

I don't know how a ca reactor works, but I'm guessing what happened is the feed pump pumped water back into the bubble counter. As long as the solenoid had the valve closed, you should be ok. The problem comes in when you get water into those regulators, as it is very bad to get water into those membranes. That's why I always have a check valve inline.

Feed pump, circulation pump and bubble counter all came in as expected. I got all the fittings on, I just need that stinking piece for my regulator. It Seems HD, Lowes, Pep boys don't have a 3/16 compression cap. Well at least I figured out it was 3/16ths.

Anyone know where else I can look?

Homebrew was awesome, but no luck. I emailed Marine Depot (where the regulator is originally from) but they don't carry the part. Project is at a stand still.

I may be forced to buy a new regulator if I want to get it running anytime soon, but it's $150 for a new regulator vs a $5 compression nut. :)

Well I've given up hope of finding the compression nut. I'm hoping one of the LFS can get one in for me, but in the meantime I've taken Berettas advice and got a small hose clamp.

I was planning on using a Maxi 900 for recirculation, however I couldn't get it to stop leaking. It's not leaking from the hose connection but the pump itself. I guess these weren't made to be used externally. Can someone recommend a pump that can be used externally?