Might be jumping (diving?) back in!

Brooks

Hey everyone!

I've been doing a little bit of research lately about what the policies will be in my dorm room at UT. Turns out, I'd be able to keep something around 5g! So, I figured I could go ahead and jump in now that things have slowed down with extracurriculars.

I'm thinking of going with a Fluval Chi, and adding a single Par 38 bulb. I was going to go with chalices and acans, and possibly some easier SPS!

Any suggestions on a better set up?

Can't wait to get back in to the hobby and talk to all of you more!

you know i dont think anyone will notice the size of your tank. at my old apartments they said a 10g limit or something like that and i had a 50 gallon in the living room. we had people from the complex come in all the time and they never said a thing. do you think they will be able to tell the difference between a 5g and a 29g BC? i doubt it :)

+1

what dorms? I lived in jester for a year and we only had someone come in once because the music was too loud, and it was an RA. I think a 10g is allowed in most dorms and the more room the better!

Hook'em Horns!

Edited by scubasteve92

you know i dont think anyone will notice the size of your tank. at my old apartments they said a 10g limit or something like that and i had a 50 gallon in the living room. we had people from the complex come in all the time and they never said a thing. do you think they will be able to tell the difference between a 5g and a 29g BC? i doubt it smile.png

Haha, I'm not quite sure how strict they are in the dorms. I'm going to ask around and see what I can find out. I know a friend of mine on the cheer team at UT had a small 3g in their dorm. But hey, if I can fit something larger, I'd be down! Hahaha

+1

what dorms? I lived in jester for a year and we only had someone come in once because the music was too loud, and it was an RA. I think a 10g is allowed in most dorms and the more room the better!

Hook'em Horns!

I'm not sure what dorm I will be staying in as of yet, however, when I was reading through all of the guidelines and all, it said that it must be 5g or less. I bet I could ask around though and see what I could really fit in there! :) Thanks for the tip!!

Think they are $109, but you get 10% off cause your ARC membership.

Awesome! Thanks!!

I know the special price was like $79, but only came with one LED strip (3 are needed for the corals you want), and the additional strips are like $25 ea. The strips slip into the fixture no problem, still looks clean.

But I don't know what the normal price is.

Oooh dang it, I missed the special. I'll go drop in on Jake today and see whats happening :)

You get a 10% discount at RCA!! Wish I knew that three months ago. Nice!

Anyway, I'd go ahead and sneak a 29g in there. I'd doubt they would say anything or even care. If so, argue five other dorm mates contributed their available 5 gallons to your tank. shifty.gif Hook'em!

I don't recommend the Chi, having converted one to saltwater myself. I ended up getting rid of everything stock and basically just kept the cube. I bet you can find a glass cube out there for much cheaper than the chi.

There are lots of nice things about having a small setup (under 10 gallons) - first and foremost its easy to move. That might be something you want to keep in mind considering that you'll be living in a dorm.

Also, with a small setup the only kind of fish you can get are mostly jumpers so you might want to consider a tank with a lid or think about how you can make a lid.