Reef Angel Controller Review

JasonJones

I purchased this controller several weeks ago and wanted to give a review on it since I do not see it being used much around ARC.

Overall Conclusions:

I think the controller should be considered as an option by most reefers. The price is good and the functionality is great, but setup and coding is more complex than other controllers. The open source nature means the controller will not become obsolete because it can be constantly updated and changed. There are constantly new modules being added to the line to increase the power of the controller. The setup can be very challenging because the instructions are horrible, however, the customer service is top notch and they are happy to walk you through everything.

1. The performance is excellent. Once setup, I have had no problems with the controller operating as desired.
  2. You can create complex codes (or download them from the forums where others have created them), such as mimicking moon cycles with your moonlights that include random weather events.
  3. The customer support is really top notch. I had to ask several questions during the set up process and I always received prompt and adequate responses. Roberto, the company owner, also created all the programming I needed to get started and for the controller to be set up as I desired.
  4. The price of the controller and the accessories is very good. Basic controller is $219. A 2-head peristaltic pump is $99, and a controllable moonlight is $20.
  5. The open source nature of the controller means that you will be able to constantly update and upgrade as advances are made for the controller.
  6. There is a strong community of users on the forum who are always willing to help with any problems you have and to help you figure out any coding you need to.
  7. They are constantly creating new products for the controller. They now have a wireless module and apps for smart phones so you can monitor and control on the go. They have already created (but aren’t selling yet) a module that can control Ecotech Radion LEDs.
  8. Everything is module—this applies to most controllers. When you need expanded capabilities, you can purchase just the part you need.
  9. Comes standard with 2 PWM ports to control dimming on lights or other pieces of hardware. Has an expansion box that provides 8 more PWM ports.

MEDIOCRE:

1. The dosing pump has two heads. You need to test the flow rate on both heads, mine are not quite even. One head pumps .58ml/sec and the other pumps .61ml/sec. This is not a big deal, just something you need to be aware of. It would be nice if they matched perfectly.
  2. Programming. I was nervous whether or not I could figure out the programming for the controller. I took one programming class 13 years ago. If you run the controller with basic options (turn lights on at X and off at X and turn off if temp reaches 83), then it is very simple. If you want to start getting into more complex stuff, it takes a bit to figure it out. I spend two or three hours with the code and was able to figure out how to set up my dosing pump to pump exactly when I wanted throughout the day, and how much to pump each time. Plus, there are a ton of codes already programmed on the forum that you can just copy and modify. I would say do not be too worried about the coding, unless you are not computer savvy at all.
  3. The site does have tutorials on how to program the controller that will give you some basic knowledge. I think they are inadequate, but they give you a start. If you then spend some time looking through the forums at code, you can figure it out. And as stated previously, if you cannot figure it out, email the owner and he is happy to write it up for you. He even annotates it so you understand what each code does, which helps you learn.
  4. The auto top off has a built in shut off function after 6 minutes. This is nice to ensure you do not flood your tank if a float switch gets stuck. However, I found this to be too short when using an aqualifter pump and had to change pumps.

DISLIKES:

1. The setup. I hear the setup is pretty straight forward for PC users as there is a program that installs everything at once. For Mac users, there is no such program. You have to download three or four things from different websites before you can even begin trying to get the controller working.
  2. The instructions are outdated and, frankly, horrible. I am not sure the instructions have been updated since the controller was created 2 years ago; much has changed on it since then. You cannot follow the instructions and get the controller working because you will download the wrong versions of software. It also includes a code to teach you how to upload codes to the controller; however, the code no longer works with the software revisions to the controller. Thus, a new owner can get very frustrated with the controller during installation. I began to believe it was too complex and I should return it. This was alleviated after talking with Roberto, he set everything straight and got me up and going. Once again, I think this speaks more to Macs than PCs.
  3. The look of the controller is not high end. It is functional and does the job well, but is not sexy like an Apex or other high-end controllers. I guess you get what you pay for.
  4. When you purchase expansion modules, they do not come with any instructions. You have to search the forums to find anything you need.

If you have any questions or comments, I am happy to respond. I wish I would have taken some pictures, but I haven't and I am out of town. Sorry about that.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Overall the controller experience has been excellent.

I cannot say enough good things about the customer service of the owner of the company as well as the great community that has been built on the controller forum. Several recommendations I have made regarding the IPhone ap have been incorporated quickly. The controller continues to get better with each update.

A couple of new things:

- The RA+ has been released, which raises the memory from 33k to 256k (or somewhere around there) which allows more than enough memory for every code or program you can come up with.

- I would like to add that the setup issues described in my original post have been ameliorated to a great degree by new programs they have created that install everything on the computer for you.

- I also added wireless capabilities so I could monitor everything from my phone when I was away. This was very easy to set up and worked extremely well. I could not only monitor everything, but I could also control everything from the ap, very convenient.

- The only real issue I have had with the controller (which was my own fault) was when water got into the controller. I do not like how the controller is set up because the temperature, ph and top off probes all connect in the top of the controller without waterproof seals. So any water that splashes on the controller will make its way onto the electronics. This is somewhat of a poor design, all plugs should be on the side or the bottom to avoid this. The best thing is clearly to mount it in a place where it cannot get wet, but still.