Sand sifting starfish

polarbear

If you have a heavy macro algae growth like a Calurpa sp. that has rootlets I'd advise against it. They like to crawl around just under the surface of the sand so it's either going to work the macro algea loose or it's not going to be able to get around and feed. If you have a macro algae that doesn't have rootlets I don't see a problem at all.

I think it depends on the purpose of your refugium. If you are simply trying to grow cheato, go for it. If you are using your refugium as a place for pods to proliferate, I would advise against it. Sand sifting stars are voracious eaters and could likely wipe out the sand in a refugium of much of the pods in short order. If you are not trying to provide a pod safe haven and want to keep any sand in the refugium clean, then I would say go for it.

Thanks. So the reason I was asking is becuase my star is starting to die. I have it in my 90 gallon tank that has been set up for awhile. It has a crushed coral bed so I'm not sure if that's the problem. I have a 14 gallon biocube with a sand bed that I can put it is so I can spot feed it bit it has only been set up for about 2 weeks. It has live rock in it and I added water from my display tank to try to limit the cycle and so far it's helping. Should I put the star in the 14 gallon biocube?

I had a sand shifting star in my 29 biocube for about 6 months. It eventually just disintegrated - literally. I'm sure I didn't have enough of a pod population to keep it alive. I've actually been trying to stay away from starfish for that very reason - I'd rather have a live sand bed than an empty one hmm.png