New 40B with 40B sump.

joshgabel

so a while back i bought a 40B tank from petco during the $1 per gallon sale (sump) and one from another member (display) and here is what i have done with it!

painted the display and drilled it using borrowed bits from a member. Thanks again!

for the fittings i went to tractor supply and found high quality bulkhead fittings. 2 - 3/4" returns and one 1.5" overflow.

RCA for the lock line i used 1/2 inch and reducers here. i plumbed everything with 3/4" spa flex just in case i need more flow in the future.

the live rock and sand i got from a member as well. thanks for the great deal!

older worn out mag9 pump seems to be perfect with 2' of extra hose on the return to "de-tune" it a bit.

i ordered a 4X39w 36" t5ho fixture from aquatraders and have been really pleased with it so far. time will be the tell as to rather or not it is truly suffecient. but for 78 shipped with bulbs and LED moonlights i cant complain.

150w heater off craigslist

CPR backpack skimmer i got from a member. currently on display tank because i didn't have enough water mixed up to put it on the sump yet.

2 - 750 GPH Koralia Evolution also off a member. (cant make this unbold) sorry ??

Please give me any pointers or suggestions or comments i really need to do something with the left side of the aquascape ideas?

i know i still need to put a standpipe and screen on the overflow and this will be done tomorrow. still researching the dimensions of an overflow box.

I have attached pics of both daylight bulbs only and daylight/actinic for purposes of showing the aquatraders light.

post-2103-0-76769900-1319601662_thumb.jp

post-2103-0-88191000-1319601683_thumb.jp

Looks good, but a few things I'm not keen on:

• the sand
  • the black stuff/rocks/pebbles in the sand
  • overflow doesn't seem to have a strainer? Coral only tank?

I really like the rock work, I like how you did the arches etc. Did you have to glue them together at all, or do they just sit like that?

the sand : yeah it came with the live rock i bought, i am unsure if i like it or not.. the black rocks are a little large i hope they settle to the bottom in time.. they seem to have done this already some.

Overflow : i now have a stand pipe coming off they hole and a strainer over the top. also i took a peice of 1/4" stiff water line (like the stuff used in a DO/DI system) and shoved it down the overflow and left about 1/2" standing above the water line. this has COMPLETELY silenced the system... loving it.

thank you by the way for the input.

Overflow : i now have a stand pipe coming off they hole and a strainer over the top. also i took a peice of 1/4" stiff water line (like the stuff used in a DO/DI system) and shoved it down the overflow and left about 1/2" standing above the water line. this has COMPLETELY silenced the system... loving it.

Cool, I may try this. Putting together my sump etc this weekend.

As for the rocks, I doubt they will settle to the bottom. I had a cichilid tank a while back and had the same sort of setup, if anything the rocks come to the top of the sand over time.

Archived