Increasing salinity

Acan't

Hey guys this is my first post. Anyone know the best way to increase salinity? Still not sure why mine was low, using 2.5 cups per 5 gallon bucket. Most of my coral died, but still have my fish. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the first post!

To answer your question, add more salt to increase salinity.

As for the 2.5cup per 5gal, i found that to be a 'rough' estimate.

Some time you have to add a bit more, or a bit less.

But be wary that adding too much salt at once, can have a delayed measurement. (Takes time for salt to dissolve.)

Edited by Pailines

Sorry, that probably wasn't a clear question. I meant what is a safe way to add more salt water? Is it better to add a little each day or more over a couple of days? I got a salinity tester finally so I won't be putting brackish water into my tank anymore. Thanks.

If the salinity and temperature between the two solution is in close proximity,(+/- ~.001 sal, and +/- 1'F Temp) i see no problem just filling the tank till desire water height.

At least that's what i did and all the button polyp seem to do fine in my tank.

Welcome wave.gif

If your tank is running with too low of salinity, I'd just do a water change every day or two with higher salinity water than your target. Just watch how things react and soon you'll be at your target salinity. What are you using to measure it?

A hydrometer is not a very accurate tester of salinity. If you're going to keep a reef tank you really should invest in a refractometer, and both test your tank on a regular basis as well as test your new saltwater before every water change.

Keep in mind that as water evaporates your tank will automatically become more saline, so yes, instead of topping off with freshwater top off with salt until you hit your target point.

Also, when you do water changes you want to make sure that the replacement water is at the same reading and temperature as your existing tank water or you can shock the inhabitants.

Go to Aquatek or someplace and buy a Refractometer. Not as accurate as a "Probe" but pretty darn good. Your "estimate" isn't bad. Most salt calls for 1/2 cup per 1 gallon of water or 2.5c per 5 gallons of H2O. That should give you a salinity of 1.021-1.023. Actually, it's good to know when you buy items what the sality of the water is that they came from.

In any regard, always put your new items in a 5 gallon bucket and "DRIP" your tank water into the water that came with the products that you purchased so that the water at minimum, doubles in volume. This will acclimate the new inhabitants to the conditions that you are placing them in. If you leave them alone, eventually they will acclimate even with a slight difference. All this rigamaro about salinity needing to be 1.025 is horse pucky! No two seas are the same. My 225 gallon hovers at about 1.023 and a DkH of 8 (most will tell you 10 is where it should be!).