sps looked dusty around base

MasonHoff

Seritopora birdsnest looked dusty around base. Never had problem before. But someone told me API test ran diffrent with alk. So I brought alk up. i usually keep my dkh between 9-11. but wihen it responded with i was between 10-12dkh on api test and all coral did respond really well! and i brought it up a lil more over time to bettween 11-12.5 then my seritopora on one got dusty around base and that dusty area creaped up.

Edited by MasonHoff

It looks to me like it's died off. I would keep an eye on it. What you describe kinda sounds like a bacterial infection to me. I don't think it was sediment or detritus since it's around the base and not on the horizontal surfaces and it's isolated to this one coral. If it was getting stung by the frogspawn I would expect it to be only on the side closest to the frogspawn, not the opposite side.

DIpping and quarintineing will help control bacterial and parasite problems. I'm not 100% you have a bacterial problem just that based on your description and the picture you posted that would be my first suspicion. Again based on your picture the polyps on the surviving part of the coral look fully expanded and healthy so if it was my coral I would take a wait and see position before stressing it out by dipping it. I would make sure I had something on hand in case it does need to be dipped, Coral RX is a popular product for this.

There are unfortunately things going on in our tanks beyond our control and ability to test for and even in well maintained systems inexplicable things happen. Here's a link to a coral death I posted a few weeks ago:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/18681-inexplicable-fungia-sp-death/