New Fish only tank

jsb515

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. My husband and I have been doing a lot of research and are interested in setting up a fish-only tank (since we're new to all this). I see that there are several shops around Austin, but does anyone have any tips or preferences on the best place to go for someone just starting out. We have yet to purchase anything - not even a tank, but we're looking at getting a 55gal. Also, what are your thoughts on puchasing any used equipment? I know we might save some money that way, but I'm not sure if it's possible to be sure that everything is really clean and ready for a new set up. So maybe it's not worth the little bit of money you could save. Thanks so much for your time!

You might want to check this out (http://austin.craigslist.org/for/367891300.html ). Or check out any consignments that LFS have in. Just keep in mind that if its a good deal it won't be there long. 4yrs. ago we started our 1st reef tank (55g.), and we found a pretty decent starter tank @ Goodwill (of all the places to look for one, we got lucky) and it only cost $30. So, you never know where you can get a good buy. As for the rest of the equipment, we mixed new and used. You eventually try to upgrade and that's when you spend $$$.

Good Luck on your findings. :lol:

-Cindy-

You might want to check this out (http://austin.craigslist.org/for/367891300.html ). Or check out any consignments that LFS have in. Just keep in mind that if its a good deal it won't be there long. 4yrs. ago we started our 1st reef tank (55g.), and we found a pretty decent starter tank @ Goodwill (of all the places to look for one, we got lucky) and it only cost $30. So, you never know where you can get a good buy. As for the rest of the equipment, we mixed new and used. You eventually try to upgrade and that's when you spend $$$.

Good Luck on your findings. :lol:

-Cindy-

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for the post. What is LFS? I hope I don't sound silly asking that.. :-)

Look in our for sale forum here too. There is always someone selling something. Welcome to the addiction!

To find the equipment, Craigslist.com and look around differnt LFS consignment area's....now on the topic of used equipment. When I buy used equipment I clean every part before using on my tank, I will also try and see if the product works and all pieces are intact.

On the subject of LFS, I spent a full week going through each Fish store looking at thier tanks (seeing how everthing was setup, what equipment was in use, and what the health of each fish was), also talk to the employee's and you will find you novice's and your experts (or ppl that at least can point you in the right direction with out filling your head with a bunch of bs). Find those stores that make you want to keep coming back everyday (I am sure some of these stores are getting sick of seeing me :-P). My other recommendation is look in the main forum and check out ARC's sponser's (these stores in my opinion are the best of the best in Austin).