Checking interest Berghia Nudibranch Proven aptasia eaters

Inland Reef

I have a "project" tank that had a ton of aptasia in it. I had heard and read good things about berghia nudibranches ridding aptasia, so gave them a chance.

It's been exactly two months and there is not a single aptasia left. The berghia are hungry, & I'm seeing them roaming around all the time now. Last night I collected 4 for a friend and saw another 4 cruising around.

Soooo I may as well start selling them off.

$15 per for big adults.

It would mostly depend on how fast you want the aptasia gone. I have a 34g with about 65lbs of rock that was overrun with aptasia. I had aptasia on the glass, powerheads, sand, everywhere. I got 7 berghia and within two months the aptasia has been completely consumed.

The way they clean a tank of aptasia is by breeding. One bergia can lay 150+ eggs at a time. Obviously they are feeding the entire time, but the aptasia is also spreading. The good thing is that berghia reproduce faster than aptasia, so eventually their numbers increase to a point where they overcome the aptasia. It took about 3 week before I noticed a decrease in aptasia. I got very busy with work and kids, then one day I looked in the tank and I had to search to find aptasia. Week or so later and it was completely gone, & I was seeing berghia roaming around during the day, which is very uncommon as they are nocturnal hunters.

They are pack hunters and need a couple to reproduce, so at the bare minimum, one would need 3 to begin the reproduction process. If you don't mind waiting a bit, then that would be enough, but if you want it gone faster, then a larger crew will do the job quicker.

Because berghia nudibrances are not very common, each of the online sellers that I was able to find have a very detailed explanation of the nudibranches as well as their behavior & reproduction.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

• 5 months later...