Removing an urchin

C Lo Slice

credit card and gently wedge between him and object?

Yeah, I didn't think of that. I'll probably try that in the morning. Thanks!

I read that anemones will release when you use an ice cube on their footing. Any try that with an urchin?

Depends on what kind he is. If you can handle it relatively easy without injury on your part, just very gently grasp him and very slowly lift him off of the glass/rocks/whatever. He will eventually let go and stick to you with his feet.

If he's one with really sharp spines, use a pair of tongs and gently lift him off the glass, lift from one side, trying to pull one straight up is like trying to peel a cat off a screen door.

If you are slow and careful, you will not hurt him at all.

Depends on what kind he is. If you can handle it relatively easy without injury on your part, just very gently grasp him and very slowly lift him off of the glass/rocks/whatever. He will eventually let go and stick to you with his feet.

If he's one with really sharp spines, use a pair of tongs and gently lift him off the glass, lift from one side, trying to pull one straight up is like trying to peel a cat off a screen door.

If you are slow and careful, you will not hurt him at all.

He's a tuxedo urchin. When I first got him, I accidentally grazed my hand against him slightly and the was definitely a sting to it. I'd like to avoid contact with him. I'll kept the tong trick in mind. Thanks, Sherita

How odd. I have handled mine bare handed many times. Maybe you are sensitive to them? Since it's a tux, you can easily remove him with the tongs, I have found they don't hold on nearly as hard as my pincushion. I have to negotiate with him to get him loose, the tux will usually just let go and walk all over my hand.

I'm curious why you want to remove him? I think they're one of the best animals to help with algae.

Well I have a bunch of loose corals on my rocks that aren't epoxy-ed down. Like, just this morning when I woke up, my frogspawn was laying on its side in the sand with the urchin sitting right in the spot that I keep it. I found a member in the club who is going to trade me a frag for him today. I really haven't even had a problem with algae, and didn't before I got him either. I like him and my wife thinks he's gorgeous, but I'm just sick of always having to fix my corals because of him climbing on them.