Quarantine Tank help

trozacky

My coral beauty just died from ich and my hippo tang has it also. Not as severe but hes scratching. I dont have another tank running but i do have a 55 gallon tank with a emporer 500 hob filter. No rock, sand ect. Just the tank. What is need is setting up an emergency QT. Thanks

My coral beauty just died from ich and my hippo tang has it also. Not as severe but hes scratching. I dont have another tank running but i do have a 55 gallon tank with a emporer 500 hob filter. No rock, sand ect. Just the tank. What is need is setting up an emergency QT. Thanks

bare bottom is good. a cycled tank is ideal, if you don't have something cycled if you can take some filter media (filter floss, sponge, whatever) from your DT to add some bacteria to the QT that'll certainly help things along.

Make sure you aren't running carbon if you plan to do any medication dosing. I don't think it matters with Hypo.

Get some PVC pipe from HD/Lowes that's big enough for the fish to hide in. I use PVC Tee's and elbows. This gives the fish places to hide to destress if they are getting picked on by another fish in QT with it.

A powerhead or airstone to give some movement to the water is advisable as well.

bare bottom is good. a cycled tank is ideal, if you don't have something cycled if you can take some filter media (filter floss, sponge, whatever) from your DT to add some bacteria to the QT that'll certainly help things along.

Make sure you aren't running carbon if you plan to do any medication dosing. I don't think it matters with Hypo.

Get some PVC pipe from HD/Lowes that's big enough for the fish to hide in. I use PVC Tee's and elbows. This gives the fish places to hide to destress if they are getting picked on by another fish in QT with it.

A powerhead or airstone to give some movement to the water is advisable as well.

sound advice. Cycled tank is good. I had an emergency several years ago with a rabbit fish and I used fresh water mixed with some DT water.

Dave-

I have the following fish:

Hippo tang

Yellow Tang

Sail tang

Paired clown fish

Spotted hawk

Two Cromis

1 blue yellow tail damsel

Cardinal

My DT is 75 Gallons and my tank in the garage is 55 gallons. Will the fish be OK going into a small tank or will they stress and die? Do I have to many fish for the 75 or is that ok? Can I take some LR from the DT and put it into the QT to help with water levels? AAARRRRGGGGHHHH this sucks!!

LR won't survive Hypo treatment and if you use copper you'll kill anything in the LR and you'll never be able to use that rock in your DT again. You need the tank as bare as possible with the exception of places for your fish to hide (PVC pipe or flower pots or whatever you choose)

So how often should I feed the fish in the QT and how oftern do a water change? Is there a fish hospital where I can drop the fish off and pick them up again in 8 weeks? If anyone want to make some money its an idea.

So how often should I feed the fish in the QT and how oftern do a water change? Is there a fish hospital where I can drop the fish off and pick them up again in 8 weeks? If anyone want to make some money its an idea.

Feed them regularly to make sure a) they are eating and b) they are staying fat/healthy. I'd soak their food in Garlic and Selcon or Zoecon to help keep their immunities up. As far as the babysitting procedure.. I don't think that exists.

Just don't OVERFEED and cause nitrate issues.

*edited: Keep some Seachem Prime on hand to detoxify ammonia/nitrates especially if you aren't working with a cycled QT.

I had read that the prime and copper mixed are toxic. Any truth?

I'm unsure of that, but there are plenty of warnings out there about mixing medications.

Here's what SeaChem says about using Cupramine with Prime.

Q: I've been dosing with Cupramine™ and then I added Product X and everything died. What happened?

A: If Product X is a reducing agent such as ParaGuard™ (or other aldehyde based medications), or if you overdose with a dechlorinator, such as Prime® then the Cu+2 will be reduced to Cu+. Cu+ is 10 times more toxic than Cu+2.

So yes in this case I'd avoid using Prime and Copper together. Any reason you don't want to treat via Hypo? You may want to look up particular fish and sensitivities to Copper. You may not even be able to treat your fish with it, I'd have to look over your fish list again.