Eradicating Gelidium

Mindflux

So, between GHA, Hydroids and now Gelidium I think I'm dealing with a considerable amount of nuisance algaes and growths.

The sea hare is actively eating GHA, but it keeps sprouting up even though my phosphates are reading zero. (Though I'm told the GHA is consuming it, which is why it reads zero) So now I've got red wirey algae growing which I can only assume is gelidium.

How do I get rid of this? I think Bry mentioned burning it off, but there's so much of it at this point I'd really do a number on my LR going that route. I've also read on reefcleaners that Sea Hare's eat Gelidium.. but I guess the GHA tastes a whole bunch better because my hare has no interest in it.

I will say this is the last time I'll be buying live rock that's got any considerable age on it. I thought I was being smart buying rock that's nice and 'purpled up' from the get go.... but this stuff must have been tagging along with it. (I know the GHA was for certain).

I have, or had, some on a big rock I bought covered in blue zoas. It grew up in between the zoas in one half dollar sized spot. I finally pulled the rock out and just pulled all I could off of the rock. It's been a couple months with no sign (yet) of re-growth.

Maybe if you can manually remove all the algae you can manage, then keep your phosphates and nitrates in check, it won't have the nutrients needed to regrow. Hopefully time will help too.

I got rid of all my algae issues in the bc in two weeks by doing massive water changes every other day.

If that were even practical for me I'd consider it. I need to get me a pair of 55 gallon drums and some pallets or cinder blocks.

From what I understand? The reason gelidium is so hard to get rid of is that the root penetrates all the way to the center of the rock. That's why some people burn it, either with flame or with kalk paste. I've had great luck with Mexican turbos - they keep mine well trimmed and under control. You just have to put enough of those guys in that they stand a chance to get ahead of it. As far as the GHA goes, water changes, manual removal, clean-up crew, and potentially a phosphate reactor are your best bets, but you're already doing most of that, so just be patient.

my past exsperince with torching! just sear the tips of it and it will all but dissapear!

http://www.austinree...__1#entry122890

after several days off research last month! i heard geliduim is almost unstoppable! and got hooked on a thread from last year on a different forum about fire blasting the gelidium. i thought no way ill do that! after no other good ways of eradication and a ton of research and my nerves settled i put a bic wind resistant lighter to the gelidium to barley singe it for a sec or two! and after a month of my hermits and emerald crab eating the dead twigs! i have 0 signs on gelidium and had no parameter swings in water AT ALL! this guy has been doing this for years on diffrent live rocks for years for all types of things (valonia, gelidium, aptisia) during research and SWEARS BY IT! so i tried it, cause i sure as heck wasn't letting it over run my tank! my rock is 100% purple and have had no areas of my rock that has even changed color! IM SOLD! I have pics to prove it if you guys wanna see

just use a bic wind resistant lighter for BBQ pits from H.E.B.

post-1870-0-97031400-1311347757_thumb.jp

Edited by MasonHoff

Thanks Mason.

I don't have any bic lighters but I have plenty of cigar torches. :lol:

I did try burning off some GHA a while back and the rock turned white where I burned. (I torched the heck out of it though).. killed off the coralline algae beneath the GHA.

torched it too long! like two seconds enough to sear the tips. it will slowly turn brown aftera day or two and then you ussual clean up crew will do the rest! but it sounds to me like you haveing water quality issues! i would get my water where i want it before worrying about small issues! (not smal to some of us!^_^ ) where did you get your live rock? and how are you dosing cal and alk! cause it you keep you cal and alk up real high the algae will all but melt away!

Edited by MasonHoff

torched it too long! like two seconds enought to sear the tip. but it sounds to me like you haveing water quality issues! where did you get your live rock? and how are you dosing cal and alk! cause it you keep you cal and alk up real high the algae will all but melt away!

I'm not dosing cal and alk right now, I don't have enough coral to deplete what's in my salt mix.

As far as water quality issues. I suppose that's a possibility? I'm using a BRS 6 stage RODI system with chloramine filter(http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reverse-osmosis-filters-and-systems/reverses-osmosis-deionization-systems/chloramines-specific-systems/75-gpd-ro-di-6-stage-chloramines-deluxe-system.html). Water comes out at 0 TDS. Doing at present, WC's every 2 weeks. Using Red Sea Coral pro salt.

Rock came from a forum member. It had some GHA on it which I tried to get rid of by keeping the rock in buckets (with pumps for circulation) for 2+ weeks. That whole "3 days of darkness" thing for GHA seems to be BS in my experience.

yes sir it is! sound like you bought your self some trouble rock! go buy a 2 part dosing system like b-ionic by esv or kent two part buffer! for your 40 start by adding 20ml a day of each! alk first then cal! and test you alk! at this point keeping your alk up is gonna be your best friend! dont worry about testing calcium now! it will stay around where we need it with the two part system! and slowly take you dosage to where you keeping your reef in between 9 and 11 kh! PLEASE listen to me and go buy esv b-ionic! it will turn your water chemistry around in your reef! keeping your cal and alk in check and very accuratley and cheap might a add for smaller tanks! and to get some good coraline algae! this is a must!

yes sir it is! sound like you bought your self some trouble rock! go buy a 2 part dosing system like b-ionic by esv or kent two part buffer! for your 40 start by adding 20ml a day of each! alk first then cal! and test you alk! at this point keeping your alk up is gonna be your best friend! dont worry about testing calcium now! it will stay around where we need it with the two part system! and slowly take you dosage to where you keeping your reef in between 9 and 11 kh! PLEASE listen to me and go buy esv b-ionic! it will turn your water chemistry around in your reef! keeping your cal and alk in check and very accuratley and cheap might a add for smaller tanks! and to get some good coraline algae! this is a must!

I've been debating on some B-Ionic (or BRS 2 Part)... I'll add it to my growing list of supplies needed.

As for Alk in the short term, can't I just go buy baking soda and cook it?

(You can read more about these here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php)

I'll test my ALK tonight and see where it's at before making any decisions on 2 part.

no. NO. and No! just got save your self today! and while your at it stop by aqua tek and start doseing TLC every week for a month! i heard of a lady using 600 hundred dollars worth of sea horse's battleing a GHA problem and TLC over three day made it look like it had been eradicated! it works miracles! or u can get it from fishy buisness. tlc is just nitrifying bacteria. keeping your alk above 8 is the key to keeping your reef healthy! i was suprized how quickly the alk droped in my tank every day! you will be too! just dose every day! with the 2 part and soes TLC to get you tank back on track!

Edited by MasonHoff

if you get a good balance! and are doseing alk and calcium every day! you will be doing your self and you tank a favor by being reduced to water changed once a month! i promise! if you take this advice, you will have a pleasnt reefing exsperince! or you can keep searching those forums for wacky ways to do things. and have a headache like you do now!

if you get a good balance! and are doseing alk and calcium every day! you will be doing your self and you tank a favor by being reduced to water changed once a month! i promise! if you take this advice, you will have a pleasnt reefing exsperince! or you can keep searching those forums for wacky ways to do things. and have a headache like you do now!

Wacky way of doing things how so?

You mean the baking soda? That's just Sodium Bicarbonate which is what ESV and BRS uses for Alkalinity. *shrug*

by causeing your self more work than its worth (i.e.whack) plus a bunch of trace stuff and you KNOW if you add 1ml per gallon you alk will increase 2.07 kh instantly! you just need to track how quickly you tank is using it along with the calcium.

by causeing your self more work than its worth (i.e.whack) plus a bunch of trace stuff and you KNOW if you add 1ml per gallon you alk will increase 2.07 kh instantly! you just need to track how quickly you tank is using it along with the calcium.

20 bucks for 32 oz of Alk and Ca isn't bad I guess. But $40 (BRS) for 3 gallons of Alk and 3 gallons Ca and 1 gallon of Mg seems like a better deal. I'm not sure if they have the "trace elements" or not.

you can run you calcium up to 2000 if you want! it wont be used! but it wont hurt anything!

It'll precipitate out at some point. I would imagine the precipitation would not be good for whatever it happened to land on.

A calcium level of 500 mg/l is higher than most people run their tanks at but as long as your alkalinity level is also running high it may not be an issue. When high levels (or low levels) of calcium occur in the tank and are out of balance with the alkalinity within the tank, that is normally where this becomes an issue.

At the same time that calcium is measured, alkalinity levels should be measured as well. There is a strong relationship between calcium levels and alkalinity that should not be neglected. If the calcium levels get high (over 500) there is a tendency for alkalinity to drop. Conversely, if alkalinity levels get too high, calcium levels will tend to fall as calcium precipitates out.

Edited by MasonHoff