Can this SPS be saved?

Mindflux

I got this piece of coral off a friend who noticed it bleaching out. It's got very little color to it, just in a few spots right now.

Ws1Tjl.jpg

Right now I've got it under Actinics until my MH kicks in. It'll be directly under the MH about 10" below the water surface. I'm hoping good light and moderate flow from my pumps can breathe some life into it.

Has anyone brought a stalk of SPS this far gone back or should I just put it on my mantle?

I've never seen a tell tale sign if a SPS frag is going to make it or not. I've seen some that I thought were for sure dead come back and some that didn't look so bad kick the bucket.

If you can still see some polyps out on it, that's a good sign. Then hope for the best.

I've never seen a tell tale sign if a SPS frag is going to make it or not. I've seen some that I thought were for sure dead come back and some that didn't look so bad kick the bucket.

If you can still see some polyps out on it, that's a good sign. Then hope for the best.

It's got a little tissue on it, not a whole ton of it though. I'll give it some time. I mean, if it dies and just turns to complete skeleton it won't hurt my tank, right?

If it has tissue, I think there is some chance. If the whole thing is RTN, it's probably not going to make it. I would definitely move it to a low light area and see if it starts coming back.

If it has tissue, I think there is some chance. If the whole thing is RTN, it's probably not going to make it. I would definitely move it to a low light area and see if it starts coming back.

I don't know how quickly it degraded. It was under power compacts. :(

so you just moved it from PC's to MH's?

It was under PCs, I got it today (in the state shown above) and it's under MH's that aren't on yet. I can move it lower in the column so it's not blasted by the MH (150W) if that's advisable.

It was under PCs, I got it today (in the state shown above) and it's under MH's that aren't on yet. I can move it lower in the column so it's not blasted by the MH (150W) if that's advisable.

YES.

YES.

Very well. I've moved it further forward in my tank (not directly under MH) and another couple inches deeper. Any more and I'll have to put it in the sand bed.

I will say my MH's only run from 4PM to 9PM due to heat issues within the tank. Hoping a fan will solve that here shortly.

Sounds like it has a case of RTN. Was mostly OK yesterday and by this morning it was almost completely bleached.

most likely. Usually it can't be stopped but every now and then you get lucky.

Sucks that things can go downhill that fast.