Test kit challenge

Robb in Austin

I was thinking about calling the manufacturer and asking about their specs. And, I think using one water source would give a good base, and I think making up a batch of water based on mfg specs would be plenty accurate enough fora hobbyist test! I think it would tell you what you want to know, which kit gets the most reliable results.

Here's a link for a recipe to make a 10 dKH standard:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/41663-diy-10-dkh-alkalinity-standard/

Marine Depot, and most likely other suppliers, has Calcium, pH, and Nitrate calibration fluids. If a refractometer is calibrated correctly with distilled water it seems to me it wouldn't need to be verified with a sample of known salinity.

Besides using a standard of freshly mixed saltwater I'd still like to see water from a bunch of tanks checked as well. The results from the DFMAS tests suggests there may be processes in the tanks that might affect the tests. For example, the mean Alk for Pstleeb's tank was .59 dKH higher than AWT.com's results while the mean Alk for Davej was only .3. Why? The salinity was the same and as I understand the testing methodology they described there were multiple eyes verifying questionable interpretations of each test. It also seems to me if a sample of the freshly mixed saltwater is sent to AWT.com you'd have another standard to work with besides using calibration fluids or maybe send of a sample at the same time the tests are done and dispense with getting calibration fluids.

Tim,

There have been some questions raised with the way AWT runs their tests, by the chemistry gurus at RC. I'd be very wary of their results and would be hesitant in sending water to them. I believe there is another company that tests water whose results have not been called into question, but they charge considerably more. Unfortunately I can't remember the name.

Edit: found some info

http://www.reefcentr...6&highlight=awt

Emily,

http://reefkeeping.c...6/rhf/index.php

and

http://reefkeeping.c...2/rhf/index.php

Timfish, I've always read that distilled water was not an accurate fluid with which to calibrate a refractometer. Can you go into more detail on this?

It's what the manufacturer of my refractometer says to use. I don't really see an issue of using RO/Di though. I also haven't bother to see if there's a difference between using distilled, RO, RO/DI or tapwater. In practice I doubt my refractometer more than once or twice a year. Seatests floater type hydrometer is what I use on a regular basis but for this test kit comparison a refractometer is probably a much better choice.

. . . There have been some questions raised with the way AWT runs their tests . . .

Robb, I haven't checked the links you gave yet and to be honest hadn't ever heard of AWT until I read the link yesterday you posted. I did try to find them online and only found Aqua-Medic who I'm sure I have seen advertisements for but seen anything specific about one way or the other.

The above discussion between Jestep, Jbharlan91 and Mindflux makes some good points about changes from DFMAS's tests to incorporate in doing another set of tests. Using a freshly made batch of saltwater and separate control samples along side water samples from different tanks would make it easier to see which kits were more accurate. I found it cumbersome scrolling down to the bottom to check the lab results then scrolling back up to compare to the tanks. It seems if all the samples were brought together and done by several people at the same time under the same lighting conditions might be better too.

Edited by Timfish

Here's my opinion: I think this is interesting and very "doable". We just need to get it together and decide the best way to proceed. I think we should do the following:

Everyone that's interested - figure out what kind of information you want to get out of the testing - what parameters you want to check, etc.

Get a list together of everything we want tested. Get another list together of all the test kits we have available to use. Once we know that, we can figure out what kind of control or multiple controls to use (pre made salt water, calibration fluids etc...), and get them ready. Then we just have to get together and run all the tests. They definitely all need to be done at the same time, under the same lighting conditions, and with a few people that can agree on any questionable results. Putting the data together would be easy, once we have it, we can report it any way we want just using excel.

I've got Lamont, Salifert and API for Alk, Elos phosphate, API calcium, pH and nitrate. I can also get water from systems maintaned with RO/DI, RO and tapwater. I'm wondering if it would be good to have all the water samples with identical salinities.

I don't think it would be necessary to have the water samples all have the same salinity. I do, however think it is absolutely necessary to have a control solution with known concentrations to use to compare the test kits. I think you either have to make control solutions, or just pick one water sample to be a control and establish it's concentration before you start the test comparisons.

I've got a Hagen/Nutrafin test kit that tests everything but Mg I think. I have a Salifert for Mg, but it's about 4 months from expiring.

Expiration dating can be debatable - 4 months out should be fine!

Stupid reagents expiring..... :angry:

Here's a link for a recipe to make a 10 dKH standard:

http://www.wamas.org...inity-standard/

Marine Depot, and most likely other suppliers, has Calcium, pH, and Nitrate calibration fluids. If a refractometer is calibrated correctly with distilled water it seems to me it wouldn't need to be verified with a sample of known salinity.

Besides using a standard of freshly mixed saltwater I'd still like to see water from a bunch of tanks checked as well. The results from the DFMAS tests suggests there may be processes in the tanks that might affect the tests. For example, the mean Alk for Pstleeb's tank was .59 dKH higher than AWT.com's results while the mean Alk for Davej was only .3. Why? The salinity was the same and as I understand the testing methodology they described there were multiple eyes verifying questionable interpretations of each test. It also seems to me if a sample of the freshly mixed saltwater is sent to AWT.com you'd have another standard to work with besides using calibration fluids or maybe send of a sample at the same time the tests are done and dispense with getting calibration fluids.

Timfish - I have all the equipment and supplies to do this, I could very easily make this solution.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...