Water testing kits

jbharlan91

Don get api, my test kit reads different than other tests and different from stores who use the same api test as me. Not sure why. My api test says 0 nitrates etc, got to river city and use the same api test and there are nitrates, phosphates, etc. Idk

Salifert or Elos are the best hobbiest ones.

I feel API is fine for the basic stuff; pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. I also like their Ca kit. As long as they are not expired and you do the test correctly (hold the reagent bottle vertically over the test tube) I think they are fine.

Also, how old is the tank and what are you planning on testing for?

The tank is new to me, but the previous owner had it running for a long time. I figured I need to test the basic stuff, pH, ammonia, nitrates etc..probably ca for coral

I work in a lab so know how to water test, I'm just used to lab supplies and not the brands available to hobbyists!

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo, lab worker!

It would be super awesome if you could run the same tests for comparison sakes against the kits. i know you can't and the technical problems that would have to be overcome are beyond me but it would still be cool.

The Elos and Salifert are more expensive but also, generally speaking, more accurate.

For me, I generally want decent accuracy. I don't really care if my Ca is 420 or 423, just that it's ok. Same for Mag. It's my opinion that if a tank is over 6 weeks old, it's pointless to measure ammonia and nitrites. And frankly, if I have P04 it will show up in the form of algae before a test kit will see it. pH is really better measured with a meter too. Of course, I don't keep SPS so I don't really care if my tank is a bit dirty.

Edit:

I just looked at the link to the PDF by Mark. Lot's of good recommendations in there.

Definitely look into getting a refractometer.

SG, alk, Ca, Mag, IMO, are the only things to look for. It's nice to have pH and nitrates for when something goes wrong but isn't absolutely needed.

Actually, I could do some test comparisons. The funny thing is though, a lot of the tests that we do in the lab use kits too. They're just WAY more expensive than if you bought one from an aquarium store. A lot of the minerals though, in the lab we just do id tests that check for the presence of the chemical, and not the quantity. But I could compare pH and titrate calcium and magnesium pretty easily.

I do have a refractometer, so I can check salinity. I just have no clue when it comes to brands and quality of test kits.

Yeah, pH papers or test strips and things like that, especially when it's color based and qualitative, are not nearly as accurate. But I've also seen some pretty inaccurate pH meters, even when they're standardized and calibrated.

Pretty much the same recommendations by me. Elos, or Salifert, and a meter for PH. I use Elos just because they are available locally. Also, never API. I've found way to many inaccuracies in their kits