My new anemone is either unhappy or dead

KarenM

Friday I bought a very small bright green anemone. It looked like it had just "eaten" something, because some very dark brown stuff was floating out of it. Anyway, I acclimated it about an hour and then put it in my tank. It wasn't happy at that point, and just kind of turned into a little blob. More dark brownish stuff came out, and I later found my BTA eating that. As of last night, my new anemone was still just a little flat blob on the rock and all of the green "arms" are covered by it's foot. I think it may still be alive because it's stuck on the rock and not floating free, but it's not happy.

What should I do?

I would watch it like a hawk. Does it look like these pics? If it does and it were my tank, that sucker would have already been pulled. A dead anemone is no laughing matter and can poison your tank. Trust me I have had it happen.

Other people may be more patient, but having to clean out a tank because of an anemone is no fun.

if it's just closed up but doesn't appear to be spewing its internal bits about, that's normal behavior while adjusting to new systems, if you are seeing any sort of open wounds or parts of the animal that are dissolving or lacerated I'd just pull it and freeze it, make sure your water parms check out and good luck with the new critter :)

if it's just closed up but doesn't appear to be spewing its internal bits about, that's normal behavior while adjusting to new systems, if you are seeing any sort of open wounds or parts of the animal that are dissolving or lacerated I'd just pull it and freeze it, make sure your water parms check out and good luck with the new critter :)
It doesn't appear to be doing anything. No lacerations, no internals spewing (other than the dark brown stuff that originally came out. Could that have been internals?). The "foot" kind of spread out, covering the tiny green tentacles. I can see bumps where the tentacles are, but it basically looks like someone stepped on a wad of gum and smashed it flat. it's still attached to the rock, though. A couple of crabs have cleaned up the rock around it, but didn't touch the anemone itself.I'll see if I can get a pic tonight, but it's so small I don't know if I can.

The new anemone was dead after all. And I mean really dead. I poked it with the turkey baster to see what would happen, and it was already "melted". Pieces went everywhere. I grabbed rock and all and threw it out in the back yard. OMG, the smell was horrible. I rinsed the rock with RO water, but it still smelled. That rock is history.

So I did a 25% water change, trying to vacuum up any pieces I saw, and I put 10 gal of RO water in the trashcan to be ready for another 25% change tomorrow.

All the livestock seems OK, but that sure was a mess.

actually, I can one up you on dead anemone stink, how about a bag of 60 mexican turbos that spent 3 extra days in transit in June.

sorry the anemone didn't pull through though, lots of them just don't acclimate well. :(

Poor snails. :( I can't believe my tank didn't have an odor. But all is still well this morning so I think we survived, even though the anemone didn't.