What is this red SPS looking thing?

C Lo Slice

So I just got home from Disney World at 3 AM last night. I've been gone for a little over a week, and my wife just noticed this red SPS-looking thing growing on the back of a rock. Its really hard to get a decent picture because it IS growing on the BACK of a rock, and my DSLR doesn't fit between the wall and the back of a tank. These are horrible pictures, but it was the best I could get of it. This was a rock I bought from RCA on May 26th, and this is the first time either of us has noticed it. It is fairly large, growing to approx. one inch in the week we were gone. It doesn't seem like any type of nuisance from the research I have done, but I AM new to this so of course I could be wrong. It is right in the middle of these three pictures and appears to be growing in the shape of an SPS coral, although it seems to be "softer" than any SPS I have seen. Can anyone ID from these pics??

post-1918-0-44958300-1310252791_thumb.jpg

post-1918-0-84904800-1310252885_thumb.jpg

post-1918-0-00232900-1310252999_thumb.jpg

Dragon's breath is a beautiful addition to the display tank. It is especially sought after by us seahorse keepers :) I don't know if it would be of much use in your sump unless you are going to grow it just to sell. You are lucky to have it as a hitchhiker!

I had to bug people for weeks before someone would share a piece ;)

• 1 month later...

So I came across this picture of Distichopora (common name of Lace Coral) online. This looks almost exactly like what is in my tank. Mine is a dark red, and isn't thick at the base like this one is. From what I've read about Distichopora, it's pretty rare, and those lucky enough to have one in the home aquarium don't have any success with them. What is making me think these are two different things, is that all info I come across say the only colors available are yellow, salmon, and purple, while mine is dark red. Also, they're listed as "Advanced Aquarist Only," and mine is growing like CRAZY, thriving more than anything else in my tank. It definitely does not look like Dragon's Breath. I'll see if I can get a new picture of it tonight because it is massive compared to when I took the original photos. I'm thinking it is not Distichopora, but it sure does look VERY similar. Does anyone know of a close relative to Distichopora??

Photo credit: seascapestudio.netdistichopora_sp_blue.jpg

I don't think it is dragons breath. For starters it appears to be attached to the rock. Also, is it hard to the touch? My guess is that its some kind of calcerous macro algae. Reefcleaners sells something that looks similar: http://reefcleaners.org/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=32&category_id=6&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=34

btw - I'm in the process of growing out dragon's breath and red gracilaria (almost as stunning and very similar). It'll be a while before I have enough to trade/sell but I'll let you guys know when I have some I need to get rid of.

I don't think it is dragons breath. For starters it appears to be attached to the rock. Also, is it hard to the touch? My guess is that its some kind of calcerous macro algae. Reefcleaners sells something that looks similar: http://reefcleaners....emart&Itemid=34

I'm starting to think it's not a macroalgae at all. I haven't seen any that look like it. I'm going to try to get a better pic of it tonight to post. It is somewhat hard, but it definitely sways a little bit in the flow. And, yes, it is attached to the rock.

Woot - yeah, I'll definitely take some. Need to figure out when I can get to Buda though.

Right on, just let me know. I work 5 minutes from home and can come and go as I please. Mondays and wednesdays I'm in school all day.

Looks to me like a Nitophyllum sp. macro. I'm also guessing it grows from a holdfast so getting cuttings to grow may be problematic. It is pretty though!

Graciaria sp?

It looks like a cross between these two.

Either way, if anyone wants some, feel free to come by today. It's growing like crazy and I'll probably end up throwing it away if I trim it back. I don't know anything about fragging or trimming macro, so if special tools are needed you may want to bring them. It's free to whoever wants some, but donations are always welcome smile.png

It's not gracilaria or halemenia (dragon's breath) because its attached to the rock.

Sorry Caleb - wasn't able to make it down to Buda over the weekend. Would you be willing to ship it if I pay for it? I can even send you the shipping materials.

It's not gracilaria or halemenia (dragon's breath) because its attached to the rock.

Sorry Caleb - wasn't able to make it down to Buda over the weekend. Would you be willing to ship it if I pay for it? I can even send you the shipping materials.

Yeah, I guess so. I've never shipped anything before, though, so I wouldn't really know what I'm doing. I'm willing to give it a shot though if you really want it.