stupid mistake :(

Jlloyd123

So i just got back from being out of town for the weekend at the Llano River and of course the first thing on my mind is how did tank do...not unpack or take a shower. Well first thing i notice is a light film of brown throught out tank. I then look around and all LPS appears to be dead. A leather palu nepthea appears to have a hole about size of a quarter at bottlom of stalk and gsp completely closed up. all zoas seem to be ok, and the GBTA is definately stressing. Most fish appear to be ok, but still a few i havent seen. The next thing i checked was the temp which was almost 90 degrees. i have been manually been turning on mh light daily when i get home around 230 and its generally set for 3 o clock. I didnt think to make surethe timer was in timer position, not on postiton, sure enough it was in on position so light was on since friday afternoon. Been in hobby for about 2 year and never have done this. So lesson learned...invest in aquacontroller and always double check every thing before big trips...

Edited by Jlloyd123

Shoot man!

We're both in RR (along with several others). Perhaps we should set up a little web of trust between us so when one of us leaves town someone can check that the tank isn't just bombing out.

Best of luck.

controllerrrrr??????? dude for 8 bucks a crappy mechanical timer would have saved your tank big time, whats a matta whichuuuu????

shoot me a text today or tomorrow if you need help with anything bud, best of luck gettin it right again

Lol. I know it man. Our AC at apartment was acting up last week and i couldnt keep it cool in apartment so i was turning the metal halides on/off manually when temp started to get hot. After AC was fixed i forgot to swithch timer back to timer setting instead on setting. So far all lps other than few lobos and trumpet coral have died. I lost a tribal blennie and have not seen 2 firefish or watchmen goby. Gsp is slightly open and GBTA inflates but has white bumps on it...tank officially looks naked again :( like the title says "stupid mistake!!!"

Edited by Jlloyd123

Ah yikes. That's rough. Definitely sounds like the MH raised the water temperature too high. Based on the corals you described you may want to look into LEDs or T5s to help avoid this type of thing in the future. I run LEDs on my tank and they have been great.

Sorry to hear about your loss! Not to be the bearer of more bad news but I'd be expecting some kind of algae bloom in the next week or so and would encourage you to start looking at how to deal with it.

i have been adding biozyme and have had good luck with it in the past, as well as running the skimmer like there is no tomorrow. also running carbon and purigen through reactors. i will definately do water change this weekend. so far things are going good. also have some chemiclean cyano remover which has done great in past in case of cyano bloom. hopefully not to big of a hassel, but we will see. thanks for input guys.