San Francisco Considers Ban On All Pet Sales

ACampbell

This may be a good start in stopping the horrible pet mills and discourage people to breed for profit, at least in San Francisco. I've read about it here: City council group recommends San Francisco have total pet ban, and I must say this is a bold move for them in fighting for animal welfare. But then I think it's also inevitable that the rest of pet sellers in other states will continue doing their business as usual. I'm wondering what will happen to those "responsible and legitimate" pet sellers/pet shop in the San Francisco if this law get passed, especially to the puppies that they're left with? Will they be required to give them away to people who are willing to take them?

I have worked in various pet stores in my youth, ranging from ones that sold puppies to one that refused to sell dogs and cats. I tend to agree with the latter, in that I feel it is best to get dogs/cats from shelters or individual breeders. Even shelters have bigger cages for the dogs than what pet stores do.

But a full out ban on all pets (birds, fish, etc), seems a bit excessive. Especially when most freshwater fish are captive bred, it is not harming natural stocks. I might see ban on wild caught stuff, which would reduce saltwater stores to cultivated corals and clownfish :)