water chemical help

Jakedoza

it seems like my corals are starting to die.. at least it looks like it.

I recently added more t5 lighting to my tank and thought that would help with growth. My water parameters have always seemed ok.. I tested them today see below for results.

ammonia - 0ppm

nitrates - 0ppm

nitrites - 0ppm

calcium - 520ppm

alkalinity - 8dKh, 2.85Meq/L, 143ppm

magnesium - 1200ppm

phosphates - 0ppm

salinity - 1.025

I have been dosing strontium and Magnesium

anyone have any advice? Thanks...

How much more t5 lighting? If you didn't light-acclimate the corals, and the difference was substantial enough, the corals could be receding due to over-exposure. Pics can't hurt if you have them.

lights added about 2.5 weeks ago. I added 2 t5s on the 6th and then 2 more 5 days later..

I am now running 10 t5s. 50/50 white and actinic.

Here are photos.. sorry about quality, they are from my cell phone..

This is a green slimer

greenslime.jpg

Purple something

purple.jpg

yellow milli

yellow%20milli.jpg

Not sure on this one..

notsure.jpg

I think etannert's got it nailed - they look light shocked to me. When you added the first two bulbs, you boosted the light in the tank by 33%. The next two bulbs added an additional 25% on top of the first jump. That's quite the shift in PAR over just five days! At this point, I think your only option is to take a wait-and-see approach. I've had corals recover from far worse. I'm willing to bet they turn around for you, although it's likely to take a few months.

Try layers of bird netting - it's inexpensive and available at the big box home stores. Each layer blocks about 5% of the light. Try putting 4-6 layers between the lights and the top of the tank, then remove one layer a week until the last layer is removed.

NOTE: Window screening blocks a whopping 40% of the available light and is too opaque to help much IMHO.

it seems like my corals are starting to die.. at least it looks like it.

I recently added more t5 lighting to my tank and thought that would help with growth. My water parameters have always seemed ok.. I tested them today see below for results.

ammonia - 0ppm

nitrates - 0ppm

nitrites - 0ppm

calcium - 520ppm

alkalinity - 8dKh, 2.85Meq/L, 143ppm

magnesium - 1200ppm

phosphates - 0ppm

salinity - 1.025

I have been dosing strontium and Magnesium

anyone have any advice? Thanks...

Based on your photos and a review of your test results, I don't think it is a light issue at all. I have recently come through a very similar situation and it was only after I stopped chasing the things recommended to me and the things that everyone usually blames that I realized my corals were starved. Yup...malnourished and stressed. Your SPS look just the same and with zeros for test results down the column, you tank looks to be just like mine when it went into slow necrosis, weak color purgatory. My solution was to dose Amino Acids, feed heavily, and then two weeks ago, I added enough potassium nitrate to bring my nitrates up to 4 ppm. That's right, I ADDED nitrate.

So, if you don't get improvement in the next week with adjusting your light, give some thought to heavier feeding, turning off any carbon dosing and bacteria dosing, reduce biopellet or zeo flow, and let your nutrients come up. Get a Red Sea Coral Pro Nitrate Test kit and see where your nitrates are. I think you tank is starved.

Mike

hmmm... that actually sounds legit.. I added a bunch of seaweed to my refugium about two weeks ago as well. I feed every day, but I suppose I can feed more.. or do something. I have also been dosing iodine as well. Ill see about getting some sort of amino acid and possible feed more.

In addition, if you are carbon dosing, using biopellets, zeo, microbacter or any other nutrient control method like GFO, take it offline until your stuff recovers. Then add back slowly if you are think like I am that you are in a stressed, malnourished state.

Based on my last four months of pain, I'd take the phosban offline. You are at a ULNS state. No need to worry that anything phosphate wise will get out of control in a few weeks without the phosban. Take your carbon out also if you are running carbon.

If the green slimmer is as brown as it looks in the picture posted I'm voting a lighting issue. I've looked at them in my tanks and the green pigmentation only fades or disappears around the base or underside where the light levels are a lot lower (approx. 100 PAR/5000 lux). If it's coloration was brown when you acquired it or it turned brown afterwards I'm thinking it acclimated to lower light levels. But I have to agree with Mike M. as well. If you're running a low nutrient system you're restricting the corals ability to produce zooanthellae and you need to help it boost it's zooanthellae production and it needs ammonia, nitrates and phosphates to feed them