Aquarium Overheating...

So yesterday morning our home ac decided to try to catch on fire and died :( Luckily I was home or our house may have burned.... I spent the entire day yesterday filling my water containers and placing them in the freezer to cool the water. Back and forth all day. I managed to keep the water at 80. AC people can't replace our unit until Wednesday of this week. I have a big stand up fan blowing across the water surface and I am still chilling the water in my freezer, for now. But tomorrow I have to go back to work and there will be nobody here to do it.

Does anyone have a chiller that I can borrow/rent for just a few days? I, obviously, can't afford to buy one because our ac is costing a fortune. I would be forever grateful ;)

I dont have a chiller but turn off your lights, keep the bottles in the freezer going, keep the fan running and you should be just fine. We had a person in San Antonio have the same problem last month and they pulled through just fine.

Thanks guys...it seems to be working. The temp has gone over 80 a couple of times, but not by much. Nothing looks good (I think because I've only run my light for a couple of hours between around midnight and two) but nothing looks like it's dying either... So far, so good. My clownfish is acting weird though. He swimming kind of erratically and seems to be bumping into things...I know this probably isn't a good sign. Hoping to get the new ac installed tomorrow....

Again, thanks for your responses.

I'm not advocating it's use, but back in the day, a "poor mans chiller" was made out of a cooler of ice or mini fridge, tubing, and a pump.

Coil the tubing up in the cooler or fridge & pump the water through it. If you have a controller, depending on how it works, you may be able to have it control the pump going to the cooler. Or, just run it manually with oversight.

Not something that I've experimented with myself, but could be handy in an extreme situation.

Good luck with the tank and the AC.

• Like 1

YAY!!!!! Everything Survived :D

New A/C was installed this morning. I left the light off until late this afternoon (giving the house time to cool and the temp time to come down in the tank). Still did the chilled water thing a couple of times today to get temp back down to about 76. Once the light came on everything started to plump up. I have one stony coral that appears to be slightly bleached, but I can live with that.

Thanks for checking on me :)

Hey Mel.

How are thongs going with the tank?