Are my mangroves dead?

Teresa

Hey All,

I've recently tried to grow some mangroves in a couple of my tanks. In at least one tank, the top part of the mangrove is completely brown (including the growth tip) and no leaves have grown. I would assume that this mangrove is dead, but the middle part of the plant (that is in the water) is still green. Lower down the plant is reddish/brown with small roots (that have not really shown much growth - if at all). They have been in the tank for about a month.

Anyone know anything about mangroves and what might be going on?

Thanks,

Teresa

My mangroves grew pretty slow; now both are dead. When they're dead, the body will shrivel up and turn deep dark (almost black). If the body of your mangroves are still plumped and green, it should still be alive.

Also if you read the instructions on reefcleaners you're supposed to get them started in fresh water then slowly acclimate them to salt. They are only salt-tolerant, but prefer fresh. I had two just like what you are describing and the roots really started to grow once I moved them to fresh water. But maybe you already know all of this and that's what you're doing :)