New tank plans

Will

So im moving to houston at the end of july to go to medical school, and i have decided that my current setup is not going with me. I love my 40br but the space it takes up is not that pleasing. So im going to down size to a ~34 gallon 20.5x18x22 that i had de-rimed. I plan to buy one of these as the basis for my stand (im not good with wood work and think this may be easier) http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70011793

im going to skin it with birch and then stain it. i may also get granite cut (depending on the cost) and use it for the top of the stand.

Filtration:

-Sump: looking for a sump that would fit my space easily (let me know if you know of any custom sump builders). would also want it to have a chamber for my bubble magus skimmer, a spot for a fuge, and a spot for a frag rack (powered by a rapid led par bulb).

-skimmer: bubble magus NAC6a for now, may switch to a SWC later but don't know

- BRS pellet reactor with pellets

- Mag 5 or 7 return (dependent on which glassholes overflow i buy)

-overflow: glassholes 700gph or the 300gph one, not sure

Water Movement: 1 MP10 right now, may sell my tunze wavebox and buy another, or just keep it until i upgrade systems again.

Lighting: Aqua Illuminations Sol Blue

Computer: Reef keeper lite, want to switch to apex, but have to prioritize money wise

May also look into getting two of these for a better dosing schedule then my current kalk method http://coralvue.com/aquahouse-aquarium-dosing-pumps/

Probably going to continue with my mixed reef and keep most of my current corals and fish.

Let me know what you think.

Will

went ahead and pulled the trigger on one of these ( http://cgi.ebay.com/Marine-Magic-aquarium-dosing-pump-Triple-/270759229169?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0a81f6f1 ) following the good reviews here http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1938900&page=9

hopefully it will allow me to better regulate my alk, cal, and mag

sounds like it will be a nice tank, you mite want to just think about buying a solana and ripping the back out and having a cal-flow drilled in it if you find the ones with the current logo on the front bottom rite its a 100% starphire tank and drillable. it mite be a better option then you can use 2 aga 10gs and have them drilled and do a split bi level sump/fuge to save space. you could just do kalk (to stabilize PH) and calcium reactors. figure after you have all the resivours your really not saving much space vs the reactors. i looked at both options. not only that but how will you know when you turn the mag and calcium off dosing that way? using 2 part? that was another thing that i thought about when i was thinking dosing pumps. i made an sealed chamber with an air tight top for my mag with guest fittings to use a small pump to dose but scared to use it cause i dont know how much mag my tank uses the numbers very so much. ive been testing for 2 weeks and still dont see a clear pattern.

the salona idea is not a bad one, i already have a non starfire tank, but i guess if i could find a good enough deal i would go for it. I also looked at the MR. Aqua tanks and the ADA tanks, but im not sure i want to spend an additional 200-300 on an additional tank with i already have on to begin with. As far a the CA reactor goes, i would rather not have to deal with co2 tanks and all of the other stuff associated with a CA reactor (plus i have never actually taken the time to truly understand their functionality) I may still add some kalk to my top off water, but i would rather get my dosing down pretty solid (i am going to medical school and dosing is a pretty be component of that :) ). Also as far a mag goes, i have heard that as long as you keep it in an acceptable range, small mag swings are not that detrimental to a reef/sps tank.

well my AI sol came in today!!! i havent played with it though due to the fact that it cant cover my entire 40br, so i will be sticking to MH on it until i switch tanks in late july.