Opinions on HOB overflow systems

trozacky

I have a 55 gallon tank that I currently have two hob filters and thats it. It seems to be working fine. I bought the tank from a lady who had it running for about 1.5 years but never used any type of lighting. I currently using two T5 lights from the large leaking tank. It doesnt have much coraline but I think the proper lighting will help. Im looking to move this set up into a nice stand and a different55 gallon tank Im buying from here. Should I upgrade to a overflow, sump, skimmer and pump. What are the disadvantage of just using the two hob filters. Ill take some pic of the current set up. Thanks

post-1965-0-64347800-1306968356_thumb.jp

Heres the tank with the rock. Most of the rock was already in the tnak when I bought it. I added some dry live rock form the large tank I bought. Will this eventually get the corline. Im planning on getting a few nice pieces of LR and adding it. On one piece of of rock the are a few clumps of what look like spider eggs. There are also about a dozen small feather dusters. You can see the two filters in the back. I set up the tank on friday.

I had nearly the same set up running for a few years.

I'm assuming those are emperor 400 filters? I had 4 T5 bulbs, the 2 Emperor's, nearly 100lbs of LR, 1.5" sand bed. I mention those because the LR & LS are integral parts of the tanks ecosystem (filtration). Water changes varied from weekly to monthly, but my water parameters were almost always good.

I kept mostly softies, but some LPS (Blasto's, frog spawn, & goniapora for about a year before it decided to die), anemonies, & a clam. Eventually I added a protein skimmer, but can't say I really noticed a big difference before or after adding it.

I had good success with that setup, although I always wondered if the grass was greener with a sump type setup.

I took a fews years off, and am now going the BioCube route. There are some things that have changed quite a bit, but filters, sumps, & such still seem about the same.

I don't think it would hurt to go the sump route, but you may want to stick with what you've got, learn the hobby, and upgrade as you go along. I think your current setup will sustain you for a while. You may want to add a couple more T-5's before you invest the time & $ in a sump.

The yellow stuff is sponge. Good things to have.

2 T5's wont grow much but would be fine for fish and some low light softies(xenia; dont get, gsp: dont get, zoas; do get, ricordea; do get) or maybe some LPS placed up high.

The biggest draw back to HOB filters is that, in theory, they become nitrate factories which limits what corals you can keep. If you add a protein skimmer, which you want to, it will help.

The benefit to a sump is larger water volume=more stability, and a place to hide skimmer/heater/reactors/fuge, etc.

If you are going to upgrade tanks, seriously consider going to a 75(same length/height, more depth(front to back)=better aquascaping and more room for fish to swim; and go with a drilled/overflow setup vs a HOB overflow.

I am buying a stand and new lights on Friday from Archie. The lighting includes48 INCH BLACK SOLAR T5. IT HAS 3X54 T5 HO. The bulbs are 2 aquaticLife 420/460 and 1 10K. Will this be enough light for corals. Should I put one of the lights as one of the blue night time lights( not sure what its called). Also im going to get a skimmer should I inculed a power head in the tank also for water movement.

See here for lighting recs:

http://home.comcast.net/~stevelarsen00/site/?/home/

I'd start by replacing those lamps. You can buy Giesemann lamps at Aquatek.

Never heard of that brand/fixture. If it has individual reflectors you'd be ok for most of the same ones I mentioned. That's not to say you couldn't get a clam/nem/basic SPS to survive under them way up high, but I wouldn't risk it myself.

The subject is asking for advice on a HOB overflow so I wanted to throw in my two cents (which is about what my advice is worth). I've always been scared to use them. I know many people use them but they've always scared me. It seems like they would clog or leak a lot easier. Also, I don't think they look as good as an internal overflow. If you're feeling brave, you can get an overflow kit from glass-holes.com and drill your tank. I've drilled a couple tanks and it wasn't too bad. Just make sure your tank is not tempered before you do it.

Yes, back to the overflow issue.

+1 on glassholes, if only for the name, but the product gets great reviews on line.

Another option is to have one of the locals drill it. Dave(Prof) at Epic Reef drilled and built my overflow on my 75.

IF you decide to go the overflow route, I'd recommend spending the money on a LifeReef systems one.

http://www.lifereef.com/frame.html